Don and Mike Show
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
Don and Mike Show logo
|Running time||4 hours|
|Starring||Don Geronimo and Mike O'Meara|
|Producer(s)||John Nolan, Frank Murphy, Diana Silman, Charles Broyhill, Lisa Herndon, John Normand, BethAnn McBride, Robb Spewak|
|Air dates||12-11-1985 to 4-11-2008|
The Don and Mike Show was an American nationally syndicated radio talk show hosted by the shock jocks Don Geronimo and Mike O'Meara, which aired from December 1985 through April 11, 2008. The show debuted on WAVA-FM in 1985 as The Morning Zoo with Don and Mike. The official name of the show became The Don and Mike Show when the duo moved to WJFK-FM in 1991. In the later years, the show was carried on 20-30 stations across the United States by the CBS-owned Westwood One Radio Network. The show's flagship station was 106.7 WJFK in Washington DC. In 2007 the show ranked #66 in the Talkers Magazine Heavy 100. Geronimo retired in 2008. The show's last live regular episode with Geronimo was broadcast March 13, 2008 and Geronimo hosted a farewell show April 11, 2008. After Geronimo's retirement, the remaining cast members formed the Mike O'Meara Show.
The show was co-hosted by O'Meara and Geronimo. News briefs and occasional commentary were provided by Buzz Burbank. The show was most recently produced by former show intern Robb Spewak. Phone calls were screened by Joe Ardinger .
Geronimo announced on February 4, 2008, that he would leave the show on May 30. That date was moved up to April 11, 2008, in a surprise announcement from the WJFK program director which also included the return of Beth Ann McBride as producer. The show was then known as The Mike O'Meara Show. It continued along with a similar format, minus Don, up until July 2009 when the show was cancelled following the decision to turn WJFK into a sports talk station. Westwood One also continued to syndicate the show in its new lineup up until its cancellation. The Mike O'Meara Show took a 5 month hiatus and returned as a daily podcast in December . Don Geronimo broadcast out of Washington D.C. WJFK 106.7 The Fan until Oct 3rd 2013. In April 2014, Geronimo joined former D&M partner Buzz Burbank's RELM Network to host his own podcast, The Don Geronimo Show, for four months, citing RELM did not pay him. Burbank denied the claim, saying Geronimo "was paid every penny he was owed to that point”.
Geronimo now hosts and owns his own show.
- "2007 Heavy 100". Talkers Magazine. Retrieved 2007-08-04.
- "Don Geronimo's Sayonara Song". WashingtonPost.com. 2008-02-23. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- Stern, Mike. "Geronimo Pulls The Rip Cord". Radio and Records. Retrieved 2008-04-03.
- "Obituaries". Washington Post. 2005-07-13. pp. B05.
- "Barry". Washington Post. 1988-06-22.
- "WJFK's Don Geronimo to Retire This Month". Express (Washington Post). Archived from the original on 2008-04-06. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- Rowland, Kara (2008-02-05). "Don Geronimo to leave talk-radio show". Washington Times. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Legendary Don Geronimo to Exit WJFK-FM on May 30". Radio Online. 2008-02-05. Archived from the original on 2008-05-04. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "O’Meara out in WJFK format change". InsideNova.com. 2009-07-14. Retrieved 2009-07-16.