August 22, 1976
|Known for||Odissi dancer|
|Spouse(s)||Sourav Ganguly (m. 1997)|
|Children||Sana Ganguly (b. 2001)
|Parent(s)||Sanjeev Roy (father)
Swapna Roy (mother)
Dona Ganguly (née Roy) is an Indian Bengali Odissi dancer. She took her dancing lessons from Kelucharan Mohapatra. She has a dance troupe Diksha Manjari. In 1997 she eloped with and married her childhood friend and later Indian cricketer and skipper Sourav Ganguly, currently the president of Cricket Association of Bengal. The couple has a daughter named Sana (born in 2001).
Dona Ganguly was born on August 22, 1976 in an affluent business family in Behala, Kolkata. Her parents were Sanjeev Roy (father) and Swapna Roy (mother). She was a student of Loreto Convent School.
She eloped with her childhood friend Sourav Ganguly because their families were sworn enemies at that time. Later their families accepted the marriage and a formal wedding took place in February 1997. The couple have a daughter Sana Ganguly.
Dona Ganguly started learning dance from Amala Shankar when she was only 3 years old. Later she shifted to Odissi under the guidance of Guru Giridhari Nayek. Dona considers the most significant development took place when she met Kelucharan Mohapatra and started taking dancing lessons from him. At early stage of her career, in different programs, Mohapatra accompanied her many times with Pakhavaj.
- Dover Lane Music Conference, Kolkata
- Konarak Festival, Konarak
- River Festival, Kolkata
- Uday Shankar Dance Festival, Kolkata
- Barak Utsov, Silchar, Assam
- Dakshin Mukambi National Festival, Kottyam, Kerala
- Baba Alauddin Khan Sangeet Samaraho(Maihar), M.P.
- Bali Yatra Cutttak
- Kumar Utsov, Bhubaneswar
- Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal
- Haridas Samaraho, Brindavhan
- Samudra Maha Utsov, Puri
- Beach Festival, Digha
- Haldia Utsov, Haldia
- Sankat Mochan Festival Varanasi
- Ganga Maha Utsov, Varanasi
- Antiquity Festival, Kolkata
- Muktashwar Festival, Bhubaneswar
- Mirtunjay Utsov, Varanasi
- Bhojpur Festival, Bhopal
- Kalidas Samoraho, Ujjain
- Taj Mohotsav, Agra
- Chaitrakut Mohotsav,Chitrakut
- Narmada Mohotsav, Jabalpur
Dona Ganguly has a dance school named Diksha Manjari. This institution was inaugurated by Lata Mangeshkar. It has capacity of more than 2000 students. Other than dancing, this institution has other departments like Yoga, Drawing, Karate and Swimming.
- "Ode to Odissi". The Tribune. July 10, 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Danseuse Dona Ganguly and troupe pays tribute to Tagore". Times of India. Jul 4, 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "I'm proud to be Sourav's wife: Dona Ganguly". Times of India. Apr 26, 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Saurav and Donna happy at last". Times of India. May 29, 2001. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Top five Indian cricket weddings". Times of India. Jul 5, 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Dona Ganguly career". Dona Ganguly website. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Dance drama Chitrangada in city". Telegraph, Calcutta. April 11, 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Disha Manjari website". Dona Gangul website. Archived from the original on 23 February 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Classical dance is eternal: Dona Ganguly". Times of India. Oct 9, 2012. Retrieved 9 October 2012.