|Birth name||Ionete da Silveira Gama|
|Born|| (1939-06-18) June 18, 1939 (age 80)|
Cachoeira do Arari, Pará, Brazil
She was born Ionete da Silveira Gama in Cachoeira do Arari and grew up in Igarapé-Miri. By the time that she was fifteen, she was singing songs from traditional music genres such as sambas, quadrilles and boi bumba. She taught history and Amazonian studies in Igarapé-Mir and conducted research into rhythms, dances and traditions of the region. She helped establish music and dance groups which preserved traditional music and customs. From 1993 to 1996, she served as secretary of culture for the municipality.
Onete recorded her first album Feitiço Caboclo when she was 73. She developed her own hybrid genre of music carimbo chamegado. After she retired to Pedreira [pt], she continued to perform. Together with a local band, she has performed throughout Brazil as well as in the United Kingdom, France, Portugal and New York City.
In 2013, a biography of Onete Menina Onete - Travessias & Travessuras was published by anthropologist Antônio Maria de Souza Santos and educator Josivana de Castro Rodrigues.
- "Dona Onete, The Queen of Carimbo". Jazzdelapena.com. September 30, 2016.
- "Dona Onete e o imaginário folk-Amazônico" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Sociedade Brasileira de Estudos Interdisciplinares da Comunicação.
- "Dona Onete lança biografia no Centur, em Belém". G1Globo (in Portuguese). August 12, 2013.
- "Dona Onete – The Journey from the teacher to the music". newmodelradio.
- "Dona Onete recebeu a Ordem do Mérito Cultural em Brasília". Diário Online (in Portuguese). December 22, 2017.