Donald B. Smith
|Donald B. Smith|
|Born||Danbury, Connecticut, US|
|Children||two; nine grandchildren|
|Sheriff of Putnam County, New York|
|Chairman of the Board of the|
American Security Council Foundation
|Deputy County Executive of|
Putnam County, New York
Donald Blaine Smith is the former sheriff of Putnam County, New York. He served as the county's deputy executive from 1999 to 2001 and then served four consecutive terms as sheriff, from 2002 to the end of 2017.
Smith was born in Danbury, Connecticut, and grew up in Patterson, New York. His father, Donald B. Smith, was an eight-term town supervisor of Patterson and one of the first advocates for the creation of a County Executive's office and County Legislature in Putnam County.
He was first elected Sheriff of Putnam County in 2001 and was reelected three times. He was narrowly defeated for a fifth term in November 2017.
While serving as sheriff, in March 2013 Smith issued press releases accusing then-District Attorney Adam Levy of interfering in an investigation into a claim that Levy's personal trainer had raped a young girl. The trainer was cleared at trial. Levy counter-sued Smith for defamation. In June 2017, Smith dropped his suit and agreed to pay $25,000 of a $150,000 settlement; he also issued a statement retracting his statements that Levy had interfered in the investigation.
Smith has been a senior fellow at the Center for Advanced Defense Studies and served as Chairman of the Board of the American Security Council Foundation and President of the Westchester/Putnam Boy Scout Council. He was President of the New York State Sheriff's Association from 2012 to 2013.
Smith was married to the former Jane Powell until her death in 2015. They have a son and a daughter.
|Republican||Donald B. Smith||11397||48%|
|Republican||Donald B. Smith||11524||98.8%|
|Republican||Donald B. Smith||11563||59.7%|
|Republican||Donald B. Smith||13254||100%||Unopposed|
|Republican||Donald B. Smith||3536||65%|
|Republican||Robert D. Thoubborn||2189||35%|
- "Patterson Through the Years". Historicpatterson.org. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "Sheriff Donald B. Smith". Putnam County Sheriff's Department. Archived from the original on 2017-10-26.
- Fitz-Gibbon, Jorge (2017-11-15). "Putnam Sheriff: Absentee ballots confirm Langley victory". The News Journal. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Higgins, Lee (2014-04-03). "Hossu acquitted; juror convinced he was '100% innocent'". The Journal News . Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Putnam Sheriff Settles Defamation Case". highlandscurrent.com. 2017-06-16. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Former Putnam County DA Adam Levy Wins Defamation Suit Against Sheriff". WCBS. 2017-06-13. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- Propper, David (2017-06-28). "Legislature Approves Levy vs. Smith Settlement". The Examiner News. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "Data-Driven Conflict & Security Analysis". C4ads.org. Archived from the original on 2015-06-11. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "American Security Council Foundation (ASCF) : Content Pages". Ascfusa.org. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- Gross, Eric (2009-06-04). "Local Boy Scouts Celebrate Century of Values". Putnamcountycourier.com. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "Bearing ArmsEmpire State sheriffs, Cuomo showdown". Humanevents.com. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "PUTNAM COUNTY GENERAL ELECTION" (PDF). Putnam County Board of Elections. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "PUTNAM COUNTY GENERAL ELECTION" (PDF). Putnam County Board of Elections. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "PUTNAM COUNTY GENERAL ELECTION" (PDF). Putname County Board of Elections. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Putnam County Generla Election : State Propositionl" (PDF). Putnamcountyny.com. 2005. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
- "Primary Election Republican Sheriff : Town of Carmel" (PDF). Putnamcountyny.com. 2001. Retrieved 2015-06-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Donald B. Smith.|
- Sheriff Donald B. Smith - Putnam County Sheriff's Department
Robert D. Thoubboron
| 53d Sheriff of Putnam County, New York