Donald Brian Calne|
May 4, 1936
|Residence||Kamloops, British Columbia|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
Killam Research Prize,|
Starr Award, Officer of the Order of Canada, fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, Hon degree UBC
|Institutions||Retired Professor Emeritus|
Born in London, England, he received his Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Medicine degrees from the University of Oxford. He worked in England and at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, Maryland until 1980. From 1981 to 2001, he was the Director of the Neurodegenerative Disorders Centre at the University of British Columbia and a professor of neurology. He is a member of the National Parkinson Foundation's Scientific Advisory Board.
In 1998, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. In 2001, he was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. In 2002, he received an Honorary Doctor of Science degree from the University of British Columbia. He was a member of the Steering Committee of the 1st World Parkinson Congress (WPC) in 2006.
He was the first researcher to use L dopa in the UK and the first to show how to use synthetic dopamine to treat Parkinson's disease. He has shown that latent damage occurs in the brain even before the symptoms of Parkinson's disease appears.
He married with Susan M. Wigfield who a nurse and co-ordinator at the UBC hospital’s movement disorders clinic . They worked with people with Parkinson's disease together for 25 years time.
|“||The essential difference between emotion and reason is that emotion leads to action while reason leads to conclusions.||”|
|— Donald B. Calne|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2009-10-30.
- http://www.parkinson.org/Page.aspx?pid=395[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-08-27. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-27. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- http://www.bcic.ca/recognition/awards/past-recipients/previous-recipients/427-health-sciences[permanent dead link]
- Calne, Donald B. (1999). Within Reason: Rationality and Human Behavior. New York, Pantheon Books. ISBN 978-0-375-40351-4.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-02-23. Retrieved 2009-10-30.
- http://www.abaa.org/books/273995252.html[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-01-05. Retrieved 2009-10-30.
- Elizabeth Lumley (2004). Canadian Who's Who. University of Toronto Press. p. 199. ISBN 0-8020-8892-9.