|Mayor of Morristown, New Jersey|
2006 – January 1, 2010
|Succeeded by||Tim Dougherty|
|Preceded by||David Manahan|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
Donald Cresitello was the Mayor of Morristown, New Jersey.
He has been active in reducing the presence of illegal immigrants in Morristown. He has attempted to have his police officers deputized as immigration officers. He has asked federal authorities to assist local police in cracking down on illegal immigration in the town and employers that hire illegal immigrants. He wrote a letter to then-United States attorney Chris Christie in this effort.
His attempt to have local law enforcement officials coordinate with federal authorities is consistent with Section 287(g) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.
In 1982 he ran in the New Jersey Senate Democratic primary and lost to Frank Lautenberg. In 1997 he switched to the Republican party but lost the mayoral primary to Jay Delaney and then went on to win the Morristown mayoral election against Scott Whitenack in 2005. On March 28, 2008 it was announced that he would again face U.S. Senator Lautenberg in the Democratic primary. On April 8, he announced an official run for the Senate against Frank Lautenberg, which he subsequently lost, receiving only 10% of the vote.
On June 2, 2009 Cresitello lost a Democratic primary challenge from Morristown's zoning board chairman Tim Dougherty.
- Koloff, Abbott "Details of Cresitello letter revealed", Daily Record (Morristown), August 24, 2007.
- "Partners: Law Enforcement," "U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement" 1996 http://www.ice.gov/partners/287g/Section287_g.htm
- Carafano, James Jay. "Section 287(g) Is the Right Answer for State and Local Immigration Enforcement", Heritage Foundation, March 2, 2006.
- Mac Donald, Heather. "ICE, ICE Baby: Orange County provides the Bush administration with a significant enforcement opportunity", National Review online, August 7, 2006.
- Report: Morristown Mayor will challenge Lautenberg in Dem primary | Politicker NJ
- Snowflack, Fred (2008-06-04). "Good omen wasn't enough for 'Jersey Joe'". Daily Record (Morristown). Retrieved 2008-06-04.
- Drobness, Tanya "Mayor Cresitello loses Democratic primary in Morristown" The Star-Ledger June 02, 2009
|This article about a mayor in New Jersey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|