|His Honour Colonel The Honourable
Donald Stewart Ethell
CD MSC AOEOC OMM
|17th Lieutenant Governor of Alberta|
11 May 2010
|Governor General||Michaëlle Jean
|Preceded by||Norman Kwong|
July 23, 1937 |
Vancouver, British Columbia
Ethell enlisted as a rifleman in the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada at the age of 17 and underwent basic training at the Currie Barracks in Calgary. He served in Germany during the Cold War and rebadged to Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 1970 when the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada was removed from regular army service. He rose through the non-commissioned officer ranks to warrant officer until he was commissioned as an officer in 1972.
Demonstrating an ability for leadership, Ethell eventually rose to the rank of colonel. He eventually became a veteran of 14 international peacekeeping deployments, with service in Cyprus, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, Central America and the Balkans.
Following his military retirement, Colonel Ethell became involved in humanitarian efforts, including CARE Canada.
On 8 April 2010, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced his appointment as the next Lieutenant Governor of Alberta. He was installed on 11 May 2010. He was made a Knight of Justice in the Venerable Order of Saint John on September 11, 2010, and installed as vice prior of the order's Alberta Council.
- Bennett, Dean. "Retired colonel ecstatic to become Queen’s right hand in Alberta." The Globe and Mail, May 9, 2010.
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. Order of Canada citation. Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 26 May 2010
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. "Canadian Honours Search Page". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 26 May 2010
- Office of the Prime Minister of Canada (8 April 2010). "PM names retired Colonel Donald Stewart Ethell as the next Lieutenant Governor of Alberta". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- Alberta's new lieutenant-governor - troubled youth to Alberta royalty
- Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Knighted
- Canadian Heraldic Authority. "The Public Register of Arms, Flags, and Badges of Canada > Donald Stewart Ethell". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Donald Ethell.|
|Order of precedence|
Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada
|Order of precedence in Alberta
as of 2014[update]
Jim Prentice, Premier of Alberta