|Colonel The Honourable
Donald Stewart Ethell
OC OMM MSC AOE CD
|17th Lieutenant Governor of Alberta|
May 11, 2010 – June 12, 2015
|Governor General||Michaëlle Jean
|Preceded by||Norman Kwong|
|Succeeded by||Lois Mitchell|
July 23, 1937 |
Vancouver, British Columbia
|Years of service||1955–1993|
Ethell was born in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1937, the son of a nurse and a navy chief petty officer. He enlisted in the Canadian Army in 1955 after being rejected by the Navy and rejected from the Air Force.
Ethell enlisted as a rifleman in the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada at the age of 17 and underwent basic training at the Currie Barracks in Calgary. He served in West Germany during the Cold War and rebadged to Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 1970 when the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada was removed from regular army service. He rose through the non-commissioned officer ranks to warrant officer until he was commissioned as an officer in 1972.
Demonstrating an ability for leadership, Ethell eventually rose to the rank of colonel. He eventually became a veteran of 14 international peacekeeping deployments, with service in Cyprus, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, Central America and the Balkans. Following his military retirement in 1993, Ethell became involved in humanitarian efforts, including CARE Canada.
On April 8, 2010, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced his appointment as the next Lieutenant Governor of Alberta. He was installed on May 11, 2010. He was made a Knight of Justice in the Venerable Order of Saint John on September 11, 2010, and installed as vice prior of the order's Alberta Council.
During his time as Lieutenant Governor, Ethell has sworn in each of Alison Redford, Dave Hancock, and Jim Prentice as Premier of Alberta. Rachel Notley was sworn in on his behalf by Catherine Fraser, the Chief Justice of Alberta, as Ethell was recovering from back surgery.
- Lieutenant Governor of Alberta – Alberta Order of Excellence [dead link]
- Bennett, Dean. "Retired colonel ecstatic to become Queen’s right hand in Alberta." The Globe and Mail, May 9, 2010.
- Lieutenant Governor of Alberta – Meet the LG [dead link]
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. Order of Canada citation. Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 26 May 2010
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. "Canadian Honours Search Page". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 26 May 2010
- Office of the Prime Minister of Canada (8 April 2010). "PM names retired Colonel Donald Stewart Ethell as the next Lieutenant Governor of Alberta". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- Alberta's new lieutenant-governor - troubled youth to Alberta royalty
- Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Knighted
- Canadian Heraldic Authority. "The Public Register of Arms, Flags, and Badges of Canada > Donald Stewart Ethell". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Donald Ethell.|
|Order of precedence|
Norman Kwong, Former Lieutenant Governor of Alberta
|Order of precedence in Alberta
as of 2015[update]
Don Getty, Former Premier of Alberta