Donald F. Jones
|Donald Forsha Jones|
|Born||16 April 1890|
|Died||19 June 1963 (aged 73)|
|Institutions||Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven|
|Doctoral advisor||Edward M. East|
Donald Forsha Jones (April 16, 1890 – June 19, 1963) was a United States maize geneticist and practical corn breeder at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven. Beginning at the station in 1914, he made high-yielding hybrid corn practical by his invention of the double-cross hybrid.
In Jones' method, four inbred corn lines are used. The seed from two initial crosses are used to grow up parental hybrids for the production fields. The production fields yield seed in sufficient quantity to make the scheme practical. Until Jones invented the double-cross method, the yield from the parent lines (the inbreds) was insufficient to allow practical production of hybrid corn seed.
Jones’ work received significant public attention and was used to make the first commercial hybrid corn in the 1920s. He was the sole geneticist at the Connecticut Station from 1915 until 1921, when Paul Mangelsdorf became his assistant there. Jones was the president of the Genetics Society of America in 1935.
- Jones, D F (1944), "Growth Changes in Maize Endosperm Associated with the Relocation of Chromosome Parts.", Genetics (published Sep 1944), 29 (5), pp. 420–7, PMC , PMID 17247130
- Jones, D F (1939), "Continued Inbreeding in Maize.", Genetics (published Jun 1939), 24 (4), pp. 462–73, PMC , PMID 17246933
- Jones, D F (1936), "The Mutation Rate in Somatic Cells of Maize.", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. (published Nov 1936), 22 (11), pp. 645–8, doi:10.1073/pnas.22.11.645, PMC , PMID 16577742
- Jones, D F (1934), "Unisexual Maize Plants and Their Bearing on Sex Differentiation in Other Plants and in Animals.", Genetics (published Nov 1934), 19 (6), pp. 552–67, PMC , PMID 17246737
- Jones, D F (1934), "Unisexual Maize Plants and Their Relation to Dioecism in Other Organisms.", Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. (published Jan 1934), 20 (1), pp. 39–41, doi:10.1073/pnas.20.1.39, PMC , PMID 16587838
- Jones, D F (1924), "The Attainment of Homozygosity in Inbred Strains of Maize.", Genetics (published Sep 1924), 9 (5), pp. 405–18, PMC , PMID 17246048
- Jones, D F (1919), "Selection of Pseudo-Starchy Endosperm in Maize.", Genetics (published Jul 1919), 4 (4), pp. 364–93, PMC , PMID 17245932
- Nelson, O. E. (1993). "A notable triumvirate of maize geneticists". Genetics. 135 (4): 937–41. PMC . PMID 8307333.
- Amino Acids, Alleles, & Antibodies: The Work of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, Yale Scientific Magazine, Winter 2004[permanent dead link]
- Weir, John "Jack" A. (April 1994). "Harvard, Agriculture, and the Bussey Institution". Genetics. 136 (4): 1227–1231. PMC . PMID 8013900.