Donald Hunsberger (born August 2, 1932 in Souderton, Pennsylvania) is an American conductor and arranger. He served as the conductor of the Eastman Wind Ensemble from 1965 until 2001. He also held the position of Professor of conducting at the Eastman School of Music. Generally regarded as a key contributor to the rise of the modern wind ensemble in the twentieth century, Hunsberger's notable contributions include conducting, recording, and arranging music for winds.
Hunsberger was born August 2, 1932 in Souderton, Pennsylvania. In 1962, he was appointed conductor of the Eastman Symphony Band and coordinator of the Instrumental Ensemble Program. In 1965, following the departure of Clyde Roller, Hunsberger was appointed as conductor of the Eastman Wind Ensemble, which had been created by Frederick Fennell. During his tenure with the Eastman Wind Ensemble, Hunsberger conducted many recordings, including some with trumpeter Wynton Marsalis. Through his work as a conductor, author, and recording artist, Hunsberger helped further the principles of the wind ensemble concept, including "specified instrumentation, orchestral concept of performance, single performer approach [and] development of individual tone colors.". From 1985-87, Hunsberger served as the president of the College Band Directors National Association.
Arrangements and published works
Hunsberger has also arranged transcriptions of orchestral music for concert band. Among these include: Shostakovich's Festive Overture; Kabalevsky's Colas Breugnon Overture, Grafulla's Echoes of the 1860s, Khachaturian's Ballet Suite from Spartacus, and John Williams' Star Wars Trilogy. Hunsberger is also the editor for the Remington Warm Up Series. Hunsberger co-authored a book with Roy Ernst called The Art of Conducting, wrote a newsletter for MCA Music on Wind Ensemble Music, and many other articles. In 1994 he co-edited a book with Frank J. Cipolla called The Wind Ensemble and Its Repertoire: Essays on the Fortieth Anniversary of the Eastman Wind Ensemble.
In recent years, Hunsberger has rescored music for silent films, and has conducted performances with major symphony orchestras. Hunsberger is currently conductor emeritus of the Eastman Wind Ensemble.
- Cipolla, Frank J., and Donald Hunsberger, eds. The Wind Band in and Around New York CA. 1830–1950. Belwin-Mills, 2007. OCLC 156833235
- Cipolla, Frank J., and Donald Hunsberger, eds. The Wind Ensemble and Its Repertoire: Essays on the Fortieth Anniversary of the Eastman Wind Ensemble. University of Rochester Press, 1994. OCLC 961455544
- Hunsberger, Donald. "Wind Band: Here Today - Where Tomorrow? Music Journal 26:10 (December 1968), 36. ISSN 0027-4364 (reprints); OCLC 317215434; OCLC 3612480 (microform)
- Hunsberger, Donald, and Roy Ernst. The Art of Conducting. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1983. OCLC 906415812
- Eastman Wind Ensemble, Donald Hunsberger, conductor. American Music for Symphonic Winds. Decca DL 710163, 1968. OCLC 810336112
- Eastman Wind Ensemble, Donald Hunsberger, conductor. Homespun America (three record set). Vox Box SVBX 5309, 1976. OCLC 1004127171, 28763671
- Eastman Wind Ensemble, Donald Hunsberger, conductor/arranger, Wynton Marsalis, cornet soloist. Carnaval. CBS Masterworks IM421137, 1986. OCLC 320499390
- Eastman Wind Ensemble, Donald Hunsberger, conductor. Live in Osaka. Sony Music SK47198, 1990. OCLC 725015677, 1127491818, 972850934
A. Clyde Roller
| Conductor of the Eastman Wind Ensemble
- Frank J. Cipolla and Donald Hunsberger, The Wind Ensemble and Its Repertoire: Essays on the Fortieth Anniversary of the Eastman Wind Ensemble (Rochester: University of Rochester Press, 1994), 17.
- Frank J. Cipolla and Donald Hunsberger, The Wind Ensemble and Its Repertoire: Essays on the Fortieth Anniversary of the Eastman Wind Ensemble (Rochester: University of Rochester Press, 1994), 22.
- "CBDNA - CBDNA - About CBDNA - Officers - Past Presidents" at "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-11-25. Retrieved 2010-04-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Accessed 2010-04-16.
- "Donald Hunsberger - Eastman School of Music", at http://www.esm.rochester.edu/faculty/hunsberger_donald Accessed 2010-04-16.