Donald L. Trump
|Donald L. Trump|
Donald Lynn Trump|
July 31, 1945
Greencastle, Indiana, U.S.
|Alma mater||Johns Hopkins University|
Donald Lynn "Skip" Trump (born July 31, 1945) is an American oncologist who has been the executive director and Chief executive officer of the Inova Schar Cancer Institute in Falls Church, Virginia since January 2015. He is not related to U.S. president Donald Trump.
Early life and education
Trump's first academic appointment was at Naval Hospital Philadelphia. His later positions included stints at Johns Hopkins, Duke University, and the University of Pittsburgh. In 2002, he joined the Roswell Park Cancer Institute as its associate institute director and senior vice president for clinical investigations. In 2007, he became the Institute's president, a position he held until he retired in December 2014. The chair of Roswell Park's board of directors said that "Roswell Park’s clinical revenues and its unique patient care programs continue to increase as Dr. Trump has been at the forefront of a ‘transformation process’ at the Institute. Further, he led several important initiatives that have great potential to enhance collaborative relationships with local and regional health care partners, thus benefiting cancer patients not only at Roswell Park, but in upstate New York."
Relationship with President Donald Trump
In addition to his considerable and influential work as an oncologist, Trump is known for having the same first and last name as businessman and President of the United States Donald Trump, despite the fact that they are not related to each other. This has led to many people asking if he has any connection to the businessman for decades. It has also led to him being dubbed "the other Donald Trump", although he supported Trump's opponent in the 2016 election, Hillary Clinton. In 2010, businessman Trump called Dr. Trump to try to get Dr. Trump to include one of the businessman's friends' sons into a clinical trial there. At the time, the son was about to be admitted into the trial. After hearing the news, businessman Trump declined Dr. Trump's offer to shave his head for a "Bald for Bucks" event, but he still wrote the doctor a check for $30,000 through the Donald J. Trump Foundation. In a video the same year, businessman Trump said, "Donald L. Trump, which is you, is probably more important than Donald J. Trump, which is me.”
Honors and awards
Trump has been recognized as one of America's Top Doctors for Cancer. He has also received a Lifetime Achievement Award in Medicine/Business from Medaille College, and a Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association.
- "Donald L. Trump CV" (PDF).
- "Donald Trump". Inova.
- Itkowitz, Colby (2016-10-17). "Meet the other Donald Trump, whom candidate Trump once called 'the more important' one". The Washington Post.
- Freed, Benjamin (2016-06-02). "Donald L. Trump Is a Doctor in Virginia, and Yes, He Knows Why We Called Him". The Washingtonian.
- Priest, Lisa (2005-07-22). "Ontario makes Herceptin widely available". The Globe and Mail.
- "Roswell Park's Trump to retire in December". The Buffalo News. 2014-07-14.
- Grossman, Samantha (2015-11-13). "From Taylor Swift to Donald Trump: What It's Like to Share Your Name With a Celebrity". Time.
- Massie, Chris (2016-10-25). "'The other Donald Trump' is voting for Hillary Clinton". CNN.
- Fahrenthold, David (2016-07-12). "I thought I had found proof that Donald Trump gives to charity. But it wasn't that Donald Trump". The Washington Post.
- "Roswell Park CEO Receives Award From Johns Hopkins Alumni Association". Roswell Park Cancer Institute. 2011-07-06.