This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2017)
|Education||The American University, BA & MBA|
|Occupation||Chairman & CEO of Jumptuit|
|Spouse(s)||Claire Leka, Broadcast Journalist|
|Website||Glide OS Jumptuit|
Donald Leka is an entrepreneur in the information technology industry and pioneer in the cloud computing space. Leka is the Founder, Chairman and CEO of Jumptuit (originally TransMedia), the creator of the award-winning cloud computing platform Glide OS and its successor, Jumptuit. Leka is also co-author of Cloud Computing: The Glide OS Story, Solving The Cross Platform Puzzle.
Leka launched Glide OS in 2005, well before cloud computing became a popularized term. Jeffrey S. Young, one of the founding editors of Macworld magazine and co-author of the bestseller iCon Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business, described Glide as "one of the first 'Internet' operating systems, a browser based working and computing environment" that "demonstrates the first new competition for Apple and Microsoft since Digital Research’s GEM."
Leka has cited the importance of cross-device, cross-platform compatibility and system integration in cloud computing design. "Walter S. Mossberg, The Wall Street Journal’s principal technology columnist said of Glide OS at the All Things Digital Conference (AllThingsD) that, Glide is like 'world peace' between devices and platforms." Steve Wildstrom, writer and editor of BusinessWeek's personal technology column, "Technology & You," described Glide as providing "the closest thing I've seen to a set of universal applications." However, Glide’s cross-platform service has also put the Company and Leka in the crosshairs with proprietary technology companies, most notably Apple.
An early advocate of protecting user privacy rights in cloud computing services, Leka created the Glide Society in March 2006, a rules-based networking environment in the Glide OS with parental controls, digital rights management, and user preferences. In August 2007, Leka announced the establishment of the Glide User's Bill of Rights in a "pledge" to protect personal data.
In December 2007, Leka launched Glide Free, a feature-rich free email service designed to protect email privacy as an alternative to Google Gmail that scans personal emails "to generate contextually relevant ads" In April 2009, Leka announced the launch of Kids' Glide to provide children with a safe online environment and parents with the tools to monitor child email accounts and other online activity.
Glide has been featured in news publications including The New York Times, USAToday, and The Wall Street Journal, and books including Cloud Computing Bible, by Barrie Sosinsky, and Cloud Computing: Web-Based Applications That Change the Way You Work and Collaborate Online, by Michael Miller.
Leka is an Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award Finalist.
Leka holds a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) as well as a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in International Relations, both from The American University in Washington, DC.
Leka is also a composer, arranger, and producer of classical and popular music.
- Ron Miller, EContent Magazine
- John Paczkowski, AllThingsD TransMedia’s Glide
- Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek Jumptuit Delivers Interface As A Service
- The American University School of Communication News, In New Book Entrepreneurial Alumni Couple Keeps an Eye on the Cloud
- Sam Gustin, Portfolio.com Get Your Head Out of the Clouds
- Jeffrey S. Young, ZDNet The Lord taketh and giveth away...even for Steve Jobs
- Marji McClure, Information Today TransMedia and Glide Integrate Compatibility and Collaboration
- Ken Hess, ZDnet Glide OS: An evolutionary leap into web-based desktops
- Steve Wildstrom, BusinessWeek Technology & You TransMedia's Glide OS
- Peter Himler, Forbes Apple Trashes A News Release
- GigaOM, Glide combines cloud accounts on iPhone but Apple seems upset about the message sent
- Steve Wildstrom, Techpinions, Apple’s Insularity Could Get Dangerous
- Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek Glide Looks To Improve Safety For Social Networking
- Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek Does Privacy Matter?
- Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek TransMedia Launches Ad-Free E-Mail
- "Brian Osborne, Geek.com Makers of Glide OS to offer Kids' Glide". Archived from the original on 2010-10-07. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- David Pogue, The New York Times Upload, Store, Play and Share in a Few Clicks
- USAToday Glide Effortless makes digital life on the Web a breeze
- Walt Mossberg, The Wall Street Journal Glide Online Service Has Good Potential, But Rough Edges
- Barrie Sosinsky, "Cloud Computing Bible"
- Michael Miller, "Cloud Computing: Web-Based Applications That Change the Way You Work and Collaborate Online"
- All Things Digital Conference (AllThingsD) Donald Leka Presents Glide OS
- Harvard Business School Cyberposium Conference
- New York Tech Meetup (NYTM) Glide Presentation
- Connecting Proprietary Platform and Cloud Silos: Donald Leka at TEDxTirana
- Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek Glide Health Makes Medical Records Mobile
- PCMag Google, Glide Move E-Health Programs Ahead
- TechCrunch Glide Health Lets Docs And Patients Access Health Records Across Mobile And Desktop Platforms
- THE Journal North Carolina District Pilots Cloud Computing Platform
- "Source: Ernst & Young". Archived from the original on 2016-10-25. Retrieved 2014-06-21.
- The American University, Alumni Success Story