|Born||Donald Edward Newhouse|
1929 (age 88–89)
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Syracuse University|
|Net worth||US$11.6 billion (April 2018)|
|Title||President, Advance Publications|
|Spouse(s)||Susan Newhouse (1955–2015)|
|Parent(s)||Samuel Irving Newhouse Sr.|
|Relatives||Samuel Irving Newhouse Jr. (brother)|
Donald Edward Newhouse (born 1929) is an American billionaire heir, business magnate and philanthropist. He owns Advance Publications, founded by his late father in 1922, whose properties include Condé Nast (publisher of such magazines as Vogue, Vanity Fair, and The New Yorker), dozens of newspapers across the US (including The Star-Ledger, The Plain Dealer, and The Oregonian), cable company Bright House Networks and a controlling stake in Discovery Communications. According to Forbes, he has an estimated net worth of $11.6 billion. He resides in New York City.
Newhouse's father, Samuel Irving Newhouse Sr., was born to Jewish immigrants on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and began the family media business. His mother, Mitzi Epstein, was an arts patron and philanthropist who grew up in an upper middle class Jewish family on the Upper West Side, the daughter of a silk tie importer.
They have three children:
- Katherine Irene Newhouse - school teacher at the Town School in New York; married Dr. Joseph Patrick Mele in 1991.
- Michael Andrew Newhouse - assistant publisher of the Times of Trenton; married Elyse Sue Applebaum in 1988. Elyse's brother, Scott Applebaum, is founder and CEO of Multispark, LLC. Elyse works as the president of global development at Advance's magazine company Conde Nast International.
- Steven O. Newhouse (b. 1957) - editor of the Jersey Journal; married to Gina Sanders in 1993.
He has six grandchildren: Sarah, Robert, David, Andrew, Alex, and Kate.
- Donald Newhouse - Forbes 18 April 2018
- Meeker, Richard H. (1983). Newspaperman: S.I. Newhouse and the Business of News. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 0899192009.
- Bond, Shannon (1 April 2015). "Newhouse family enters cable's top tier". Financial Times. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- CNN Money Magazine: "THE BIGGEST PRIVATE FORTUNE Media magnates Si and Don Newhouse control a $7.5-billion empire. It's a tightly private show, but there's no hiding wealth this big" By Carol J. Loomis August 17, 1987
- Carol Felsenthal. New York Times review of Citizen Newhouse: Portrait of a Media Merchant (1998)
- Newhouse: All the Glitter, Power, & Glory of America's Richest Media Empire & the Secretive Man Behind It by Thomas Maier - May 1997, p.39
- Syracuse.com: "For Susan Newhouse, late wife of publisher Donald Newhouse, Syracuse ties ran deep" by Ken Sturtz August 15, 2015
- New York Times: "Miss Newhouse, A Teacher, Weds" August 12, 1991
- New York Times: "Elyse Applebaum Married in Jersey" August 22, 1988
- Campden FB: "Advance Publications daughter-in-law promoted at Conde Nast" By Jessica Tasman-Jones 5 September 2014 09:52 AM
- New York Times: "WEDDINGS; Gina Sanders, Steven Newhouse" March 1, 1993