Donald Russell (classicist)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||13 October 1920|
Donald Andrew Frank Moore Russell FBA (born 13 October 1920) is a British author and professor of classical literature at the Faculty of Classics, University of Oxford. He is an Emeritus Fellow and former tutor in classics at St John's College, Oxford.
Russell served in World War II, first in the Royal Corps of Signals (1941–43), then in the Intelligence Corps (1943–45). From 1948 to 1988, he was a fellow of St John's College, Oxford of which he is since an emeritus fellow. As of October 2013 Russell is just the third fellow in the history of St John's to have reached the 65 year anniversary milestone  From 1952 to 1978, he was a university lecturer in classical literature at the University of Oxford. From 1978–85, he was a reader (senior lecturer) in classical literature and from 1985–88, professor of classical literature.
In 1981, he delivered the J H Gray Lectures at the University of Cambridge. He was a visiting professor at the University of North Carolina in 1985 and from 1989 to 1991, a visiting professor at Stanford University.
|This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (December 2012)|
- Russell, Donald (1964). Longinus On the Sublime, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- Russell, Donald (1972). Plutarch, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald; and M Winterbottom (1972). Ancient Literary Criticism, Oxford University Press
- Russell, Donald (1981). Criticism in Antiquity, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald; and N G Wilson (1981). Menander Rhetor, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald (1983). Greek Declamation, Cambridge University Press
- Russell, Donald (1990). Anthology of Latin Prose, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- Russell, Donald (1991). Anthology of Greek Prose, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- Russell, Donald (1992). Dio Chrysostom, Orations 7, 12, 36, Cambridge University Press
- Russell, Donald (1993). Plutarch: Selected Essays and Dialogues, Oxford University Press
- Russell, Donald (1996). Libanius: Imaginary Speeches, London: Duckworth
- Russell, Donald (2001). Quintilian: The orator’s education (Loeb Translation), Harvard University Press
- Russell, Donald; and D Konstan (2005). Heraclitus: Homeric problems, Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature
- Russell, Donald; and R Hunter (2011). Plutarch: How to Study Poetry, Cambridge University Press
- Russell, Donald; Dillon, J and Gertz, S. (forthcoming) 'Aeneas of Gaza: Theophrastus with Zacharias of Mytilene: Ammonius (Ancient Commentators on Aristotle) ', Bristol Classical Press . 978-1780932095
- "Prof Donald Russell, FBA Authorised Biography – Debrett’s People of Today, Prof Donald Russell, FBA Profile". Debretts.com. 1920-10-13. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- http://www.sjc.ox.ac.uk/167-6435/65-years-a-Fellow.html. Retrieved 2013-10-25. Missing or empty