Donald W. Shepperd
Donald W. Shepperd
|Born||September 14, 1940|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Air Force|
Legion of Merit
Order of the Sword (United States)
Major General Donald William Shepperd (born 1940) was the director of the Air National Guard from 28 January 1994 to 28 January 1998. Shepperd holds a master of science degree from Troy State University and attended the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base. He graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1962 as a distinguished graduate. The retired Major General has also functioned as a military aviation analyst for CNN. His wife is Rose.
The General is also the author and/or co-author of several books:
- Bury Us Upside Down.
- Fly Girl
- The Class of '58 Writes a Book
- Chronicle Series
- Wonder Years - The Wheat Ridge Chronicles
- Big Mama & Daddy Zach - The South Texas Chronicles
- Think Like a Trout - The Frying Pan Chronicles
- Bwana Shep - The African Chronicles
- Mayday - The Vietnam Chronicles
- Mr. Dumbsquat – The Academy Chronicles
In 2010 the new Air National Guard readiness center was named Shepperd Hall after him.
Major awards and decorations
- Silver Star
- Legion of Merit
- Distinguished Flying Cross with 2 oak leaf clusters
- Meritorious Service Medalwith one bronze oak leaf cluster
- Air Medal with three silver oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Army Commendation Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal
- Vietnam Air Gallantry Cross
- Rating: Command Pilot
- Flight hours: More than 5,000
- Aircraft flown: T-33, T-37, T-38, A-37, A-7, O-2, F-100, F-106, F-15, C-21
- September 1962 - October 1963, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
- October 1963 - July 1964, student, F-100 combat crew training, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
- July 1964 - October 1966, squadron pilot (F-100), 81st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn Air Base, Ger.
- October 1966 - October 1967, air liaison officer, 24th Infantry Division, Augsburg, Ger.
- October 1967 - December 1967, tactical fighter pilot (F-100), 90th TFS, Bien Hoa Air Base, Vietnam.
- December 1967 - April 1968, tactical fighter pilot, (MISTY FAC), (F-100), 416th TFS, Phu Cat Air Base, Vietnam.
- April 1968 - October 1968, instructor pilot (F-100), 90th TFS, Bien Hoa Air Base, Vietnam.
- October 1968 - October 1969, instructor pilot (A-37), 4532nd TFS, England Air Force Base, La.
- May 1970 - August 1973, forward air controller (O-2), 103 Tactical Air Support Squadron, Willow Grove Naval Air Station, Pa.
- August 1974 - August 1978, F-100 instructor pilot, 152 Tactical Fighter Squadron, Tucson IAP, Ariz.
- August 1978 - March 1983, squadron commander (A-7), 152 Tactical Fighter Squadron Tucson IAP, Ariz.
- March 1983 - December 1984, deputy commander for operations (A-7), 162 Tactical Fighter Group, Tucson IAP, Ariz.
- December 1984 - August 1985, vice commander (A-7), 162 Tactical Fighter Group, Tucson IAP, Ariz.
- August 1985 - September 1986, student, Air War College and Research Fellow Center for Aerospace Doctrine and Education (Cadre), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- September 1986 - November 1986, acting deputy chief, Operations and Plans Division, NGB, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- November 1986 - January 1987, vice commander (A-7), 162 Tactical Fighter Group, Tucson IAP, Ariz.
- January 1987 - July 1989, air commander (F-15), Hq 102nd Fighter Interceptor Wing, Otis ANG Base, Mass.
- July 1989 - January 1994, deputy director, Air National Guard, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- January 1994 - January 1998, director, Air National Guard, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- "Active Major Command and ANG Leaders" (PDF), Air Force Magazine, Air Force Association, p. 106, May 2011, retrieved 20 December 2011
- "2008 Distinguished Graduates" (PDF). March 2009.
- Donald W. Shepperd Archived March 23, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Double, Double, Toil and Trouble·Implications of the Modern World (Especially the Mid-East) for Aviation" (PDF). June 21, 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 13, 2012. Retrieved 29 Aug 2011.
- Shepperd, Donald (August 2008). The Class of '58 Writes a Book. AuthorHouse. ISBN 1-4343-9727-0.
Orrell, John (September 16, 2010). "Air Guard dedicates Shepperd Hall at Andrews". Air National Guard. Missing or empty
- David Barstow, "Behind Analysts, the Pentagon’s Hidden Hand," New York Times, April 20, 2008.
- "Major General Donald W. Shepperd"
- "The Aerospace Corporation: Board of Trustees"
- "Speaker Biography: Maj. Gen. Donald W. Shepperd, USAF (Ret.)"[permanent dead link]
- "NORDAM Names General Shepperd to Board", Media Release, June 22, 2004.
- Aerospace Corporation, "Leading Aerospace: Board of Trustees", accessed April 2008
- Nordam names General Shepperd to Board
- Tom, Breen (February 24, 1997). "Air Guard boss: reliance on reserve units will increase". Defense Daily. Missing or empty
Maj Gen Philip G. Killey
| Director of the United States Air National Guard
January 1994 - January 1998
Maj Gen Paul A. Weaver Jr.