||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Forres, Morayshire, Scotland|
|Fields||Clinical pharmacology and Therapeutics|
Donald Robert James Singer is president of the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine.
He was born in Forres, Scotland and attended schools in Iraq, Bahrain, and Scotland.
Singer was awarded Bachelor of Medical Biology and Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degrees from the University of Aberdeen in 1975 and 1978 respectively, followed by the MD degree in 1995. He served as Senior Lecturer/Consultant and then Reader at St George's Hospital Medical School from 1996–2003, having previously trained at the Aberdeen Teaching Hospitals, Hammersmith Hospital, the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, and the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School. While at St George's, he held honorary research posts at the Harefield Heart Science Centre, a research facility of the National Heart and Lung Institute, a Division of the Faculty of Medicine of Imperial College. He was appointed professor of clinical pharmacology and therapeutics at the graduate medical school of the University of Warwick in 2003. In 2007, Singer was elected president of the Fellowship of Postgraduate Medicine. In 2014 he was on the Faculty of Yale University School of Medicine.
His interests include new approaches to personalising medicine, chemical and genomic research for the discovery of medicines and their harmful effects, prevention and treatment of hypertension and other disorders of the heart and circulation, and public understanding of health. He is a co-author of the Pocket Prescriber, a paper and electronic guide on safe and effective use of medicines for health students and prescribers, in publication with 8 editions since 2004.
Singer has been active on many medical and professional committees, including for the British Hypertension Society, the London Hypertension Society (President 1990-2002), the British Pharmacological Society, the West Midlands Physicians Association, the European Union of Medical Specialists, the European Association of Internal Medicine, and the European Federation of Internal Medicine. He was a co-founder and associate editor of the European Journal of Internal Medicine. He is an advisory panel member for the National Health Service Health Technology Assessment, formerly for the Pharmaceuticals Panel, currently for the Primary Care, Community and Preventive Interventions Panel, an Executive Committee member of the British Microcirculation Society, secretary of the European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, and former member of Council and co-chair (2011-2013) of the Committee of Heads of Pharmacology and Therapeutics of the British Pharmacological Society. He is a Fellow of the British Pharmacological Society and an honorary Fellow of the Finnish Society for Internal Medicine and the European Federation of Internal Medicine. He is chair of the advisory board of Health Policy and Technology and a consulting editor for Clinical Therapeutics He is a member of the Healthcare Professionals' Working Party of the European Medicines Agency. He has worked as a clinical pharmacologist on the Human Resources for Health Programme for Rwanda advising on systems for pharmacovigilance and organizing an International Symposium on Medicines and Patient Safety held in Kigali in November 2014 in partnership with Pharmacology for Africa and IUPHAR.
Poetry and medicine
He was co-founder in 2009 with Michael Hulse of the Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine for UK NHS-related poets and the International Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine. Singer, Michael Hulse and Sorcha Gunne won the 2011 Times Higher Education Award for Excellence and Innovation in the Arts for the Hippocrates poetry and medicine initiative. This award aims to recognise the collaborative and interdisciplinary work within universities and their external partners to promote the arts. In 2012, he co-founded with Michael Hulse the international Hippocrates Prize for Young Poets for poetry on a medical theme. In 2013, he was co-founder with Michael Hulse of the international Hippocrates Society for Poetry and Medicine.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
He was formerly a trustee of the Richmond Orchestra (London) and Ealing Junior Music School (London). In 2010 he co-founded the "Healthy Heart Awards" for schools and colleges. The inaugural 2011 Healthy Heart Awards were organised by the Cardiovascular Research Trust and supported by "Heads, Teachers and Industry". Selected healthy heart poetry entered from 19 schools for the 2013 and the 2014 Healthy Heart Awards was published in the Love your Heart anthology.
- Paul C. Taylor, Andrew J. Clark, Andrew Marsh, Donald R. J. Singer and Suzanne J. Dilly. A Chemical Genomics Approach to Identification of Interactions between Bioactive Molecules and Alternative Reading Frame Proteins" Chemical Communications 2013;49: 9588-9590(DOI: 10.1039/C3CC44647F). http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2013/CC/C3CC44647F#!divAbstract
- Marsh A, Casey-Green K, Probert F, Withall D, Mitchell DA, Dilly SJ, James S, Dimitri W, Ladwa SR, Taylor PC, Singer DR (Feb 2016). "Simvastatin Sodium Salt and Fluvastatin Interact with Human Gap Junction Gamma-3 Protein". PLOS ONE. 11 (2): e0148266. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0148266. PMC . PMID 26863535.
- Cheema E, Sutcliffe P, Singer DR. The impact of interventions by pharmacists in community pharmacies on control of hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2014 Jun 26. doi: 10.1111/bcp.12452.
- A pharmacologist on Side Effects: The Guardian, Monday 25 March 2013. http://m.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/mar/25/pharmacologist-another-view-side-effects
- TRJ Nicholson and DRJ Singer. Pocket Prescriber 2013. Taylor-Francis. ISBN 1444180649. http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781444180640
- Anthony Brown, TRJ Nicholson and DRJ Singer. Pocket Prescriber - Emergency Medicine 2013. Taylor-Francis. 2013. ISBN 1444176641. http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781444176643
- "British Hypertension Society". Bhsoc.org. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- Singer DRJ (1995). "Introduction to New themes in hypertension. re Proceedings of the 6th Annual Symposium of the London Hypertension Society". J Human Hypertension. 9: 634–4.
- Singer DR, Hughes AD (1996). "Introduction to New themes in hypertension. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Symposium of the London Hypertension Society". J Human Hypertension. 10: 375–6.
- Singer DR, Cappuccio FP, Hughes AD (1997). "New themes in hypertension: introduction. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Symposium of the London Hypertension Society". Journal of Human Hypertension. 11: 551–552. doi:10.1038/sj.jhh.1000530.
- Singer, DRJ, Cappuccio, FP, Hughes, AD. "New themes in hypertension. 9th Annual Symposium of the London Hypertension Society. Journal of Human Hypertension 1999
- Singer DRJ, Cappuccio FP, Hughes AD. Carter, ND (2000). "New themes in hypertension. 10th Annual Symposium of the London Hypertension Society". Journal of Human Hypertension. 14: 359.
- Singer DR, Cappuccio FP, Hughes AD (2000). "New themes in hypertension. 11th Annual Symposium of the London Hypertension Society". NMCD. 10: 223.
- Singer DRJ; Cappuccio FP; Carter ND; Hughes AD. New horizons in cardiovascular disease. 12th Annual Symposium of the London Hypertension Society. NMCD. 2001;11;285-286.
- "Home". WMPA. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- Qball Internet Solutions Alkmaar. "European Union of Medical Specialists - powered by: Qball Internet Solutions©". UEMS. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- EFIM. "European Federation of Internal Medicine - Latest news". EFIM. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "European Journal of Internal Medicine | Vol 23, Iss 3, Pgs e75-e84, 197-292, (April, 2012)". Retrieved 2012-04-13.[not in citation given]
- "Pharmaceutical Panel (PHP) : NIHR HTA programme". Hta.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- HTA Primary Care, Community and Preventive Interventions Panel http://www.nets.nihr.ac.uk/programmes/hta/our-people
- Website of the British Microcirculation Society: http://www.microcirculation.org.uk/
- "Executive Committee Members | European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics". Eacpt.org. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- Website for Health Policy and Technology http://www.healthpolicyandtechnology.org/
- Website for Clinical Therapeutics http://www.clinicaltherapeutics.com/home
- Healthcare Professionals' Working Party of the European Medicines Agency. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/contacts/CHMP/people_listing_000032.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac0580028dd3
- "Plans announced for a Rwanda Society of Pharmacology". Medicines and patient safety.
- Singer D.R.J.; Hulse M.W. (2010). "Poetry, medicine, and the International Hippocrates Prize". The Lancet. 375: 976–977. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60427-8.
- Hulse M, Singer D, eds. The Hippocrates Prize 2010. The winning and commended poems. The Hippocrates Prize in association with Top Edge Press, 2010. ISBN 978-0-9545495-5-8.
- Hulse M, Gunne S, Singer D, eds. The Hippocrates Prize 2011. The winning and commended poems. The Hippocrates Prize, 2011.
- Cunnane, Sarah. "Sheffield named 'University of the Year' at annual THE Awards". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Warwick team inspired poetry competition wins national award". .warwick.ac.uk. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- Website for the Hippocrates Prize for Young Poets http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/research/csri/research/cpt/poetry/entry-schools
- Launch of the international Hippocrates Society for Poetry and Medicine. http://hippocrates-poetry.org/news/press-releases-2/science-meets-life-and.html
- Website for the Richmond Orchestra http://www.richmondorchestra.org.uk/[not in citation given]
- Website for Ealing Junior Music School http://www.ejms.org.uk/[not in citation given]
- website for the Cardiovascular Research Trust http://www.cvrt.org.uk/[not in citation given]
- Love your Heart. An anthology of poems by children for children about heart health. Edited by Wendy French and Rebecca Goss with notes on heart health by Donald Singer. 64 pages. Published by The Hippocrates Press, London: 4 December 2014: ISBN 978-0-9572571-4-6.
- Love your Heart anthology website: http://hippocrates-poetry.org/publications/the-hippocrates-press/love-your-heart-2.html