Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Private medical school|
|Dean||Lawrence G. Smith|
|Location||Hempstead, New York, United States|
The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell, commonly referred to as Zucker School of Medicine, is a graduate medical school at Hofstra University, in Hempstead, New York, United States. It was founded with Northwell Health in 2008, and it opened in 2011.
In October 2007, Hofstra University and Northwell announced plans to establish a new school of medicine, and in March 2008, signed the Joint Academic Agreement that established the school. In June 2010 the school was approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting agency, allowing it to begin reviewing applications.
It is the first medical school in Nassau County to grant the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree. It is also New York State's first new M.D. medical school since 1963, according to Dr. Lawrence G. Smith, the new school's dean.
In June 2010, the school opened its initial academic building, and classes began in August 2011. After receiving Provisional Accreditation from the LCME in June 2013, it began construction of a HLW International-designed, 63,000 square-foot addition, bringing the facility to a gross 113,000 square feet. In May 2015, the school's inaugural class graduated with 29 students and all of them received residencies to institutions across the US.
In January 2016, the medical school changed its name from Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine to Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine along with the North Shore-LIJ Health System, which became Northwell Health. In August 2017, after a $61 million donation to the school, it was renamed as the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2018)
The School of Medicine offers an MD degree, as well as an MD–PhD, a PhD in the molecular basis of medicine, and an MD–MPH. There are also programs for GME, CME, and a BS/BA–MD (Hofstra 4+4 Program).
In March 2015, the Hofstra University and Northwell partnership announced the launched of Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies. That school offers Master of Science degrees as a family nurse practitioner or an adult-gerontology acute care nurse practitioner. Hofstra's existing dual-degree Physician Assistant Studies will also be housed in the new school. Hofstra's health care network additionally includes their School of Health Sciences and Human Services.
The School of Medicine was ranked #55 in primary care and #71 in research in 2017 by the US News and World Report.
Research is conducted by faculty and students at The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Northwell's principal biomedical research facility. Additionally, research is performed by students and faculty at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a strategic partner of Northwell. In 2016, the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research agreed to pay the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) $3.9 million for improper disclosure of research participants’ protected health information.
- "Long Island hires and promotions: Dr. Laurence Epstein, Northwell Health".
- "History of Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine". Hofstra University. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Medical Students Enter the Doors of Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine for First Time". Medicine.Hofstra.edu. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- Chen, Pauline. "Rethinking the Way We Rank Medical Schools". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "E.W. Howell completes construction of 63,000 s/f North Shore LIJ School of Medicine addition; two-story building designed by HLW International; Grand opening held March 2". New York Real Estate Journal. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Xirinachs, Mike. "Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School Of Medicine Opens $36M Facility". CBS New York. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine's Inaugural Class Meets Their Match". Hofstra University. Archived from the original on 2015-09-08. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- [dead link]
- Ferrette, Candice. "Hofstra University, Northwell Health rename med school after donors". Newsday. August 30, 2017.
- "Degree Programs". Hofstra University. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Hofstra University, North Shore-LIJ to Launch School of Graduate Nursing & Health Professions". Business Wire. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Ferrette, Candice (July 20, 2015). "Hofstra-North Shore LIJ graduate nursing program gets state approval". Newsday. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine Rises High in the Grad School Ranks - Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell". medicine.hofstra.edu.
- "Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and North Shore-LIJ Announce Strategic Affiliation to Accelerate Benefits of Cancer Research to Patients".