Dong Ja Yang
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dong Ja Yang was the Chairman of the AAU National Taekwondo Union from 1979-1984. From 1984-1988, Dong was a member of the Executive Board of the United States Olympic Committee. A PhD graduate in Counselling Psychology, Yang introduced Taekwondo to 77 colleges in the United States from 1977 to 1983. During these years he was essential in helping raise Taekwondo to an Olympic Status. He taught Taekwondo for 35 years at Howard University. In 1986, Dong Ja Yang asked Kim un-Yong to lower the black belt fee for Taekwondo, which resulted with his removal from the WTF Pan American Taekwondo Union. In 1988 three of his students earned medals in the Olympics in Taekwondo. They were Lynnette Love, Debra Holloway, and Sharon Jewell. He was presented with an award from Congressman Ralph Metcalfe for his work in bringing women to Taekwondo. At Howard University he hosted the Howard University Taekwondo Championships. In 2001, he filed a complaint against the United States Taekwondo Union. Dong was elected to the Taekwondo Hall of Fame and holds a 9th degree black belt.
- "Taekwando Reform Movement". Archived from the original on 2015-01-19. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Jet. Johnson Publishing Company. 9 May 1983. pp. 48–. ISSN 0021-5996.
- Gillis, Alex (20 November 2008). A Killing Art: The Untold History of Tae Kwon Do. ECW Press. pp. 162–. ISBN 978-1-55490-674-1.
- Black Belt. Active Interest Media, Inc. July 1979. pp. 14–. ISSN 0277-3066.
- "Dong Ja Yang at Howard University - RateMyProfessors.com". ratemyprofessors.com.
- Gillis, Alex (20 November 2008). A Killing Art: The Untold History of Tae Kwon Do. ECW Press. pp. 206–. ISBN 978-1-55490-674-1.
- Ebony. Johnson Publishing Company. May 1992. pp. 124–. ISSN 0012-9011.
- Black Belt. Active Interest Media, Inc. December 1978. pp. 16–. ISSN 0277-3066.
- Black Belt. Active Interest Media, Inc. April 1976. pp. 76–. ISSN 0277-3066.
- "Section 10". Team USA.
- "THE OFFICIAL TAEKWONDO HALL OF FAME® - INSTRUCTORS - TAEKWONDO HALL OF FAME ®". lacancha.com.
- "Taekwondo History". TMW.
|This biographical article related to martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|