This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directed by||A. Kodandarami Reddy|
|Produced by||T. Trivikram Rao|
|Written by||Paruchuri Brothers (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||A. Kodandarami Reddy|
|Story by||Viyatnamveedu Sundaram|
|Cinematography||V. S. R. Swamy|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
Donga (Telugu: దొంగ, English: Burglar) is a 1985 Telugu action film, produced by T. Trivikram Rao and directed by A. Kodandarami Reddy. It stars Chiranjeevi and Radha in the lead roles, with music composed by Chakravarthy.
Phani (Chiranjeevi) commits thefts just to help the poor. He loves Kodandaramayya's daughter Manju Latha (Radha), but he seeks revenge against Kodandaramayya (Rao Gopala Rao) for killing his father. He also wants his sister Malathi (Rajyalakshmi) to get married to Rajesh (Raja), son of Anjaneyulu, but he needs Rs.50,000 for her dowry. At the same time, Vishwanatham (Sridhar), an income tax officer, wants his sister Rekha to marry Rajesh. With the help of the police, Phani succeeds in liquidating Kodandaramayya's gang and has his revenge. He also acquires enough money to arrange his sister's marriage with Rajesh.
- Chiranjeevi as Phani
- Radha as Manjulatha
- Rao Gopal Rao as Kodandaramayya
- Allu Ramalingaiah as Rama Subbaiah
- Gollapudi Maruthi Rao as Anjineelu
- Rajendra Prasad as Inspector Ravi
- Nutan Prasad as Ranga
- Sridhar as Viswanath
- Raja as Rajesh
- P. L. Narayana as Chandra Shekar Rao
- Chalapathi Rao
- Bheemiswara Rao
- Chitti Babu
- Silk Smitha
- Rajyalakshmi as Malathi
- Athili Lakshmi
- Jhansi as Duragamma
|Film score by Chakravarthy|
|2||"Sari Sari"||SP Balu, P. Susheela||4:53|
|3||"Donga Donga"||SP Balu, P. Susheela||5:11|
|4||"Andhama Ala"||SP Balu, S. Janaki||4:42|
|5||"Thappanaka"||SP Balu, S. Janaki||4:54|
|6||"Idhi Pandhem"||SP Balu,S. Janaki||4:11|
Donga was the subject of a viral video involving a scene featuring the film's musical number "Golimar" ("Shoot the Bullet"). The scene contains choreography and elements from Michael Jackson's Thriller music video (which leads to the common nickname for the video, "Indian Thriller") and has become a widely seen video on YouTube.
A further parody of the scene by Mike Sutton (Buffalax) titled "Indian Thriller with English lyrics" added subtitles to the video phonetically approximating the original lyrics as English sentences; resulting in "Golimar" being misinterpreted as "Girly man", and producing such lines as "Nippley man I met, he ate motorboat!" and "I'll eat wasabi on my dude." He has also produced similar spoofs with other songs, including "Benny Lava", a spoof of a song from the Tamil film Pennin Manathai Thottu. Since its release, American dubstep artist Skrillex has used short portions of the video for live performances. It is seen as the background for a remix of "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" titled, "Scary Bolly Dub".
- Kasam Paida Karne Wale Ki is a 1984 Bollywood film which also parodies Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video.
- VCDs and DVDs on - VOLGA Videos, Hyderabad
- "Donga (Overview)". IMDb.
- "Donga (Banner)". Telugu Moviepedia.com.
- "Donga (Direction)". Spicy Onion.
- "Donga (Cast & Crew)". gomolo.com.
- "Donga (Music)". Know Your Films.
- "Donga (Review)". The Cine Bay.
- "Donga (Songs)". Cineradham.
- "Buffalax Mines Twisted Translations for YouTube Yuks". Wired. 6 November 2007. Archived from the original on 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2008-03-26.
- Grandy, Eric. "Skrillex and M83's Bigger-Than-Key-Arena Electro, and Other Thoughts on Bumbershoot Monday". Seattle Weekly. Archived from the original on 23 January 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2016.