|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
Aerial View of Dongargarh from Maa Bamleshwari Temple on a hilltop
|• Official||Hindi, Chhattisgarhi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Dongargarh is a city and municipality in Rajnandgaon District in the state of Chhattisgarh, India and the site of the Bambleshwari Temple. A prominent pilgrim destination in Rajnandgaon District, the city lies about 35 kilometres (22 mi) west from Rajnandgaon, 67 kilometres (42 mi) west from Durg and 132 kilometres (82 mi) east from Bhandara which are situated on National Highway 6. Featuring majestic mountains and ponds, Dongargarh is derived from the words: Dongarh meaning 'mountains' and garh meaning 'fort'.
The Maa Bamleshwari Devi Temple, situated on a 1,600 feet (490 m) high hilltop, is a popular landmark. It is of great spiritual importance and a legend is associated with this shrine. Another prominent shrine in the vicinity is Chhoti Bamleshwari Temple. Devotees flock these temples during Navratri. Shivji Temple and temples dedicated to Lord Hanuman are also located here. The ropeway is an added attraction and is the only passenger ropeway in Chhattisgarh.
A Jain temple is also under construction[when?] on a hill known as Chandragiri with the blessings of Jain saint Acharya Shri Vidyasagar Ji Maharaaj. The temple is specially recognized for an ancient statue of the Teerthankara god Chandraprabhuji. One of the biggest gurudwara in the state is also located in the heart of the city.
The nearest airport is at Raipur, 110 kilometres (68 mi) away while the nearest railhead is Dongargarh Railway Station. Dongargarh has good road communication and buses and taxis are available from Rajnandgaon.
As of the 2001[update] India census, Dongargarh had a population of 34,440 with males constituting 51% of the population and females 49%. The city's average literacy rate is 73%, which is higher than the national average of 59.5%; male literacy is 81% and, female literacy is 66%. In Dongragarh, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Dongargarh is a station on the Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line.
Dongargarh has four very high quality schools.
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (Only Navodaya school in Rajnandgaon District),
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (Central School)
- St. Vincent Palloti International Residential School
- Wesleyan English Med. Hr.Secondary School
- Khalsa Public School Managed by Sikh Society Dongargarh.
- Govt.Boys & Girls Hr.School,Dongargarh
- [[Saraswati shishu mandir, Hr. School,
- "Dongargarh PinCode". citypincode.in. Retrieved 2014-03-10.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.