Dongsha Atoll National Park
The Dongsha Atoll National Park (Chinese: 東沙環礁國家公園; pinyin: Dōngshā Huánjiāo Guójiā Gōngyuán) is the seventh national park of the Republic of China (Taiwan), managed by the Ministry of the Interior. It was established on 17 January 2007; and on 4 October of the same year a preparatory administrative office was set up[where?] to manage it.
The marine park is located at the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands) in the north of the South China Sea and includes the atolls[which?] and surrounding sea areas. The total area is 3,537 square kilometres (1,366 sq mi), with 1.79 square kilometres (0.69 sq mi) of land. The main part of the Park is the Dongsha Atoll (Pratas Atoll), a circular atoll 25 kilometres (16 mi) in diameter, with tropical monsoon climate. It is administered under Qijin District, Kaohsiung City.
Seagrass Beds are well formed in the atoll and in adjacent waters, providing rich bio-diversities of marine life from fish, jelly fish, squid, sicklefin lemon sharks, and rays to rarer sea turtles, Dugongs, and cetaceans (dolphins and whales). Recovery of green sea turtles has especially been noted. Possible use of the atoll as a breeding ground by lemon sharks have been speculated due to the numbers of infants that have been discovered.
- 各國家公園基本資料表 (PDF) (in Chinese). Construction and Planning Agency, Ministry of the Interior, R.O.C.(Taiwan). June 6, 2014. Retrieved October 23, 2014.[permanent dead link]
- 黃旭磊. 2016. 〈南部〉尖齒檸檬幼鯊 悠游東沙環礁. The Liberty Times. Retrieved on March 28, 2017
- Hsiao-yun S. (2013). "Featured Project - Removing the Veil of Mystery from the Seagrass Beds of Dongsha Island". The National Parks of Taiwan. Taiwan Government. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2015-01-03. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- Dai C. F. (2004). "Dong-sha Atoll in the South China Sea: Past, Present and Future" (pdf). Reports at the ISLANDS of the WORLD VIII International Conference (2004):Changing Islands – Changing Worlds. Institute of Oceanography, National Taiwan University: 517–525. Retrieved 2016-08-16.
- III. Achievements of Taiwan’s Marine Protected Areas, Fisheries Agency, Council of Agriculture, Government of Taiwan
- Xinzhong P.. 2017. 東沙環礁 尖齒檸檬鯊幼兒樂園. The United Daily News. Retrieved on April 30, 2017
- Dongsha Atoll National Park official site
- Dongsha Atoll Research Station(DARS) by the National Sun Yat-sen University
|This article about a location in Taiwan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|