Donn (given name)
2. "chief", "noble"
Donn is a given name in the Irish language. Donn was originally a byname, which had two meanings: one of the meanings was "brown"; the other was "chief" or "noble". Its use as a given name today is represents a short form of any of the various of Gaelic names that begin with the first element donn-. A variant form of the name is Don.
People with the byname
- Domnall Donn (died 696), king of Dál Riata
- Donnchad Donn (died 944), High King of Ireland
- Gofraid Donn, (fl. 13th century), King of the Isles
- William Donn de Burgh, 3rd Earl of Ulster (1312-1333), noble in the Peerage of Ireland
- Rob Donn (1714-1778), Scottish Gaelic poet
People with the given name
- Donn A. Starry (born 1925), retired United States Army four-star general
- Donn Arden (1916-1994), American choreographer
- Donn B. Murphy (21st century), President and Executive Director of the National Theatre in Washington, D.C.
- Donn Cambern (born 1929), American film editor
- Donn Clendenon (1935-2005), first baseman in Major League Baseball
- Donn Cothaid mac Cathail (died 773), King of Connacht
- Donn F. Draeger (1922-1982), American judoka
- Donn F. Eisele (1930-1987), United States Air Force officer
- Donn F. Porter (1931-1952), soldier in the United States Army
- Donn Fendler (born 1927), Boy Scout
- Donn Landee (21st century), American record producer and engineer
- Donn Moomaw (born 1931), American football player
- Donn Pall (born 1962), former American professional baseball player
- Donn Pearce (born 1928), American author
- Donn Swaby (born 1973), American actor
- Donn Tatum (1913-1993), president of Walt Disney Productions
- Donn Trenner (born 1927), American jazz pianist
- Donn Kean Degnon (born 1940), American, retired
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 346, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- "Learn about the family history of your surname". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 21 November 2010. which cited A Dictionary of First Names. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-280050-7. for the given name "Donn".
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|