Donna Lynne Champlin
|Donna Lynne Champlin|
January 27, 1971 |
Rochester, New York, United States
|Occupation(s)||Actress, Dancer, Singer|
|Instruments||Vocals, Piano, Flute, Accordion|
Champlin was born in Rochester, New York, to a technical writer mother and a scientist father. Her burgeoning career began at the age of four, when she performed a tap solo in a local variety show. She participated in various lessons, theatre productions, and national, and international competitions throughout her childhood, in voice, piano, flute, theatre and dance.
She went on to study musical theatre at Carnegie Mellon University, graduating with her BFA in 1993, and as a 1992 Advanced Acting Scholar in Shakespeare and Chekhov at the University of Oxford. While still in college, she performed as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz with Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera.
This was followed by taking the title role of Very Warm for May, her Broadway debut in James Joyce's The Dead, then By Jeeves, Hollywood Arms, Sweeney Todd, Billy Elliot the Musical, and The Dark At The Top of the Stairs, for which she won the 2007 Obie Award. Other credits include: No, No Nanette, Very Good Eddie, First Lady Suite, Harold and Maude, My Life With Albertine, Bloomer Girl, and Jolson. She also performed with Len Cariou in the Simply Sondheim inaugural concert which celebrated the opening of the Sondheim Center for the Performing Arts.
Her awards include the aforementioned 2007 OBIE award, the Princess Grace Award, the title of National Tap Dance Champion four consecutive times, and she has received grants from the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts, The Anna Sosenko Trust, and has received The Charlie Willard Memorial Grant.
Donna released a critically acclaimed solo album entitled Old Friends, performs a one-woman show entitled Finishing the Hat, and teaches acting at the Carnegie Mellon University, the University of Hartford, and New York University.
- www.donnalynnechamplin.com Donna Lynne Champlin (Retrieved 9 March 2011.)
- Broadway actress Donna Lynne Champlin discusses acting, her upcoming performances in WMU's 'Late Night Broadway Simon A. Thalmann, 1 December 2010, Michigan Live LLC.
- Donna Lynne Champlin Biography ((?)-) NetIndustries, LLC.
- Donna Lynne Champlin - Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra (Retrieved 9 March 2011.)
- A Chat with Donna Lynne Champlin 2004/01/08 Heather Colon-Smith, 8 January 2004, BroadwayWorld.com
- Donna Lynne champlin Theatre Credits BroadwayWorld.com (Retrieved 9 March 2011.)
- Donna Lynne Champlin - IMDb IMDb.com, Inc. (Retrieved 9 March 2011.)