|Origin||Palo Alto, California|
|Years active||1970s – present|
|Associated acts||Elvin Bishop, Jefferson Starship, Starship, Jerry Garcia Band, Cold Blood|
Donny Baldwin grew up in Palo Alto, California. Baldwin began his career as a drummer for Elvin Bishop during the 1970s, where he worked with his future Jefferson Starship bandmate Mickey Thomas. When the Elvin Bishop band disbanded he joined the Santa Cruz band Snail and gigged around the Bay Area (including a stint with Pablo Cruise) until 1982.
After Aynsley Dunbar left Jefferson Starship in 1982, Baldwin replaced him and joined his old band mate Thomas; he made his recorded debut with the band on the Nuclear Furniture LP in 1984. He remained with the band, which soon took the name Starship, through the recording of their studio album, Love Among the Cannibals. In September 1989 Baldwin assaulted Thomas while Starship was on tour in Scranton, Pennsylvania; Thomas required reconstructive surgery on his face and head, and Baldwin was fired from the band. From 1994 until its demise in 1995, Baldwin drummed for the Jerry Garcia Band.
He rejoined the reformed Jefferson Starship in 2008, replacing Prairie Prince, and performed on the tour in support of the 2008 studio album Jefferson's Tree of Liberty. Baldwin currently tours with Jefferson Starship as well as playing drums for Lydia Pense as a member of Cold Blood.
In 2017, former Jefferson Starship band member Craig Chaquico filed suit against the other remaining members of the band, including David Freiberg and Donny Baldwin, over the use of the Jefferson Starship band name on tour billings and merchandise, citing a 1985 agreement to retire the band name.
- "Meet Starship". The Alexandria Times-Tribune. newspapers.com. 1986-07-30. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
Donny joined the band three years ago. He grew up in Palo Alto, Calif., and played with different bands in the state.
- Huber, Nicholas (2017-05-31). "A case of the blues to hit Longview". Longview News-Journal. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- Tamarakin, Jeff (2003). Got a Revolution: The Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 0-671-03403-0.
- Iovino, Nicholas (2017-04-28). "Guitarist Sues to Stop Use of Jefferson Starship Name". Courthouse News Service. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Starship biography on MP3.com
- Metzger, John. "Backstage Pass: An Interview with Melvin Seals", The Music Box, July, 1998
- Donny Baldwin on Allmusic
- Donny Baldwin on the Internet Movie Database
|This article on a United States rock drummer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|