October 31, 1934|
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Died||November 6, 2011
|Known for||Dance and choreography|
Donya Feuer (31 October 1934 – 6 November 2011) was an American dancer, choreographer and a pioneer of modern dance. She was also a theater director and filmmaker, and a long-time collaborator with director Ingmar Bergman.
Life and career
Feuer was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and studied at the Juilliard School and with Martha Graham. After completing her studies, she danced with Martha Graham's company, and in 1957 she danced in Paul Taylor's 7 New Dances. Also in 1957, she founded the Studio for Dance with Paul Sanasardo where she worked with him as a partner in choreography, pedagogy and stage performance. In the Studio for Dance, she also worked with German choreographer Pina Bausch.
In 1963, Feuer relocated to Stockholm, Sweden, for a position as choreographer and later director with the Royal Dramatic Theater. In 1971 she met Ingmar Bergman and began an association which produced seventeen film, theater and television projects, including The Magic Flute in 1975 and Face to Face in 1976. Other collaborations included productions of Julius Caesar, King Lear and Peer Gynt. Feuer also directed The Dancer, a feature-length documentary released in 1994, and other films including Nijinsky: A Life. She produced theatrical performances in New York City, including Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale in 1995 and Maria Stuart in 2002.
Feuer died in Stockholm of ulcerative colitis.
Selected films include: As choreographer:
- 1996 Jerusalem
- 1993 Backanterna (TV movie)
- 1992 Madame de Sade (TV movie)
- 1975 The Magic Flute (TV movie)
- 1968 The Girls
- 1966 Mästerdetektiven Blomkvist på nya äventyr (TV movie)
- 2000 The Working of Utopia
- 1994 Dansaren (documentary)
As a performer:
- 1992 Tre danser (TV movie as performer)
- 1975 The Magic Flute (TV movie as Woman in Audience)
- Franko, Mark (2005). Excursion for miracles: Paul Sanasardo, Donya Feuer, and Studio for Dance, 1955-1964.
- Propst, Andy (16 November 2011). "Choreographer/Director Donya Feuer Has Died". Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- Kisselgoff, Anna (15 November 2011). "Donya Feuer, Modern-Dance Choreographer, Dies at 77". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 January 2012.