Doodlakine, Western Australia
Doodlakine Store, 2014
|Population||191 (2006 Census)|
|Elevation||263 m (863 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Kellerberrin|
|State electorate(s)||Central Wheatbelt|
Doodlakine is a town 220 km (140 mi) east of Perth, Western Australia. It is within the Shire of Kellerberrin along the Great Eastern Highway. The town contains a crossing loop for trains on the Perth-to-Kalgoorlie railway and serves as a stop on the Avonlink rural train service.
The area was first visited by Europeans in 1864 when explorers came and charted the area. The word Doodlakine is Aboriginal word for a particular rock formation north of the townsite.
An area close to the townsite, along the road to the Yilgarn goldfields and near a reliable water supply, was set aside in 1891 for a town to be established. This was gazetted as the Doodlakine townsite in the same year. Later a railway line was constructed through the area about 3 km (1.9 mi) south of the town, and the government soon subdivided area along the line. This area was gazetted as a second part of the townsite in 1899.
The town overflows with people each year during a music concert held at the pub. Hundreds of people come from around the state and camp behind the pub.
Doodlakine is affectionately known by the locals as "Doodlie".
|Preceding station||Transwa Trains network||Following station|
East Perth – Merredin
towards East Perth
East Perth – Kalgoorlie
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Doodlakine (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of country town names – D". Retrieved 2008-09-26.
- "Country elevators". The West Australian (Perth: National Library of Australia). 6 July 1932. p. 10. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Wheatbelt Tourism – Doodlakine". 2005. Retrieved 2008-09-26.
- Hough, Frank. "Inaugural Speech: Hon Frank Hough, MLC" (PDF). Parliament of Western Australia. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "CBH receival sites" (PDF). 2011. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- AvonLink Timetable
- Prospector Timetable
Media related to Doodlakine, Western Australia at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in Western Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|