Location of Doolittle, Texas
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||4.3 sq mi (11.0 km2)|
|• Land||4.3 sq mi (11.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||85 ft (26 m)|
|• Density||640/sq mi (250/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1852699|
Doolittle is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 2,769 at the 2010 United States Census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Doolittle is located at (26.364570, -98.121522).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.3 square miles (11 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,358 people, 543 households, and 508 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 554.2 people per square mile (213.7/km²). There were 599 housing units at an average density of 140.8/sq mi (54.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 46.48% White, 0.08% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 50.81% from other races, and 2.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 95.97% of the population.
There were 543 households out of which 68.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 76.1% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 6.4% were non-families. 5.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.34 and the average family size was 4.50.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 43.3% under the age of 18, 12.0% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 13.2% from 45 to 64, and 3.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22 years. For every 100 females there were 97.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $23,403, and the median income for a family was $24,792. Males had a median income of $15,469 versus $14,853 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $6,349. About 35.9% of families and 41.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 47.6% of those under age 18 and 56.4% of those age 65 or over.
Zoned elementary campuses serving sections include Crawford Elementary School and Monte Christo Elementary School (grades PK-5), All residents are zoned to Harwell Middle School(6-8), and Economedes High School (9-12).
In addition, South Texas Independent School District operates magnet schools that serve the community.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- Doolittle CDP map. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2013-2014 Elementary School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on April 2, 2013. Detail of the Crawford Elementary Zone, Detail of the Monte Christo Elementary Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 Middle School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on March 29, 2011. Detail of Harwell Middle Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 High Schools Approved Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Detail of Economedes Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.