Doom (Japanese band)
|Genres||Thrash metal, progressive metal, avant garde metal|
|Years active||1985–2000, 2015-|
Doom is a Japanese thrash metal band by former Zadkiel members Koh and Jouichi. Formed in Tokyo in 1985, the first line up included Takashi "Taka" Fujita (vocals/guitar), Koh "Pirarucu" Morota (fretless bass) and Jouichi "Joe" Hirokawa (drums).
The group released their first EP Go Mad Yourself! in 1986, and the debut album No More Pain followed in 1987. The group gained a lot of popularity and signed to the Japanese label Invitation. The band continued to release many more albums and even played a gig in the United States at CBGB's in October 1988. On May 7, 1999, founding member Koh was found dead, having apparently drowned. They released their final album Where Your Life Lies!? in November 1999, before officially disbanding in August 2000.
In 2014, Fujita and Pazz were joined by Casbah/Skull Smash bassist Kodaira for a short 15-minute set at a tribute event for United bassist Akihiro Yokoyama, who died that May. Doom later announced they would re-form, and had their first full performance on January 12, 2015 at Club Citta in Kawasaki.
On the 14th of December, 2015, it was announced on the band's official Facebook page that they had recorded a new album called Still Can't The Dead, they revealed the artwork as well. The new album is set to be released on March 2, 2016. Later that month, the band revealed the track list on their Twitter account.
- Takashi "Taka" Fujita – vocals, guitar (Unit-3,former live guitarist for The Mad Capsule Markets and Soft Ballet, support for Luna Sea member J from 1997–2014)
- Shigeru "Pazz" Kobayashi – drums (Gastunk)
- Takatoshi Kodaira – bass (Casbah, Skull Smash)
- Jouichi "Joe" Hirokawa – drums (United, Zadkiel, Warpigs, Egao Dorami)
- Koh "Pirarucu" Morota (b. 1963 – d.1999) – fretless bass (Zadkiel, Schaft, Egao Dorami)
- Masami Chiba – bass (Shellshock)
- Go Mad Yourself! (EP, 1986)
- "Why!?/Last Stand to Hell" (single, 1986)
- No More Pain (full-length, 1987)
- Killing Field (EP, 1988)
- Complicated Mind (full-length, 1988)
- Incompetent... (full-length, 1989)
- Human Noise (full-length, 1991
- Doom VI – Illegal Soul (full-length, 1992)
- Split 7 w/ Hedgehog Split (split album, 1994)
- "Freakout" (single, 1995)
- Where Your Life Lies!? (full-length, 1999)
- Still Can't The Dead (full-length, 2016)