|Song by Miley Cyrus|
|from the album Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz|
|Label||Smiley Miley Inc.|
"Dooo It!" is a song by American singer Miley Cyrus from her fifth studio album Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz (2015). It was premiered on August 30, 2015, with a live performance during the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards, which Cyrus hosted, and was made available free online without prior announcement alongside the parent album. It serves to promote the project.
Lyrically, "Dooo It!" is "primarily about [Cyrus'] love of marijuana and peace". NY Daily News said the song "hits some new sweet spot between loopy R&B and the more drug-friendly forms of Southern hip hop".
Cyrus first performed the song as a collaborative effort with The Flaming Lips and dozens of RuPaul's Drag Race contestants in haute couture designs for the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards, which she hosted. RuPaul's Drag Race contestants, including Courtney Act, Willam Belli, Pandora Boxx, Tammie Brown, Carmen Carrera, Violet Chachki, Alyssa Edwards, Monica Beverly Hillz, Laganja Estranja, Alexis Mateo, Gia Gunn, Miss Fame, Pearl, Shangela Laquifa Wadley, and Jessica Wild, were featured in the performance. The Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne came to the front of the stage to launch confetti cannons between Cyrus' legs at the end of the song.
The music video for "Dooo It!" features a close-up shot of Cyrus smoking marijuana, licking and regurgitating glitter and pouring home-made facial masks on her face. It was shot in July 2015. Billboard's Erin Strecker said of the video: "It's gross, intriguing, performance art-y and may make you want to take up crafting, stat." Jezebel described it as "glitter bukkake", and The Harvard Crimson suggests that "[i]f you look closely enough, given that you have the stomach to do so, you can probably see the seven deadly sins represented. Perhaps in 'Dooo It!,' Cyrus, like John Doe in that one Fincher flick, merely holds a mirror to her morally empty society. If we recoil in horror, it is hardly the mirror's fault."
|Chart (2015)||Peak |
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||60|
- Brodsky, Rachel (August 31, 2015). "Miley Cyrus Has Got Something on Her Face in 'Dooo It!' Video". Spin. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Kreps, Daniel (August 31, 2015). "Watch Miley Cyrus Make Glittery Mess in 'Dooo It!' Video". Rolling Stone. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Takeda, Allison (August 31, 2015). "Miley Cyrus Leaves VMAs Crowd Speechless With Wacky Song About Pot After Accidental Nip Slip: Video, GIFs!". Us Weekly. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- Farber, Jim (31 August 2015). "'Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz' : Album Review". NY Daily News. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Strecker, Erin (August 31, 2015). "Miley Cyrus Drops Glittery 'Dooo It' Video After VMAs: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Lockett, Dee (August 31, 2015). "Miley Cyrus Closed the 2015 VMAs with New Album". Vulture. Archived from the original on September 2, 2015.
- "Meet All 30 Of Miley's Day-Glo Dancers From Her Insane VMA Performance -- MTV". MTV.
- "Miley Cyrus' Surprise VMA Performance -- What Did You Just Watch?". Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- Escobedo Shepherd, Julianne (August 31, 2015). "Watch the Video for Miley's New Weed-and-Glitter-Fueled Single". Jezebel. Archived from the original on December 27, 2017. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Levin, Trevor J. (October 13, 2015). "Music Video Breakdown: 'Dooo It,' Miley Cyrus". The Harvard Crimson. Archived from the original on December 27, 2017. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "Miley Cyrus Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.