Door County Cherryland Airport
|Door County Cherryland Airport|
|Serves||Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin|
|Elevation AMSL||724 ft / 221 m|
Door County Cherryland Airport (IATA: SUE, ICAO: KSUE, FAA LID: SUE) is a county owned public use airport in Door County, Wisconsin, United States. It is located two nautical miles (4 km) west of the central business district of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. It is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017–2021, in which it is categorized as a local general aviation facility.
Door County Cherryland Airport is home to the Door County Civil Air Patrol Senior Squadron (WI-197). The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter 630, Peninsula Flyers, is also based at the airfield.
Facilities and aircraft
Door County Cherryland Airport covers an area of 436 acres (176 ha) at an elevation of 724 feet (221 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 2/20 is 4,599 by 75 feet (1,402 x 23 m) and 10/28 is 3,199 by 75 feet (975 x 23 m), all having approved GPS approaches.
For the 12-month period ending May 29, 2015, the airport had 23,150 aircraft operations, an average of 63 per day: 97% general aviation, 2% air taxi and 1% military. In March 2017, there were 35 aircraft based at this airport: 29 single-engine, 1 multi-engine, 2 jet and 3 ultralight.
On April 2, 2012, an 81-year-old pilot was flying with his wife when he lost consciousness and ultimately died in mid-air. His 80-year-old wife took over the controls of the plane and successfully landed it at Door County Cherryland Airport. Her husband was pronounced dead on scene.
- FAA Airport Master Record for SUE ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. effective Mar 30, 2017.
- "List of NPIAS Airports" (PDF). FAA.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Wisconsin woman, 80, lands plane after pilot husband dies at controls". TwinCities.com Pioneer Press. Associated Press. April 2, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Door County Cherryland Airport.|
- Door County Cherryland Airport
- Airport page at Door County website
- "Aerial photo / diagram" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-09-29. from Wisconsin DOT
- Tailwind Flight Center - Sturgeon Bay, the fixed-base operator (FBO)
- FAA Terminal Procedures for SUE, effective May 25, 2017
- Resources for this airport: