This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)
A toiletry bag (also called a toiletry kit, ditty bag, dopp kit, bathroom kit, sponge bag, toilet bag, toilet kit, toilet article kit, body hygiene kit, travel kit, wash bag, shaving kit, or wet pack) is a portable container—usually a pouch with a drawstring or zippered closure—that holds body hygiene and toiletry supplies such as toothbrush and toothpaste, dental floss, cotton swabs, deodorant, nail clippers, tweezers, soap, shaving supplies, hair brush, tampons, contact lenses and supplies, and similar items while travelling and in other circumstances where permanent shelves and cupboards are unavailable or impractical for use.
Dopp kit is a term particularly in use in the US for toiletry bags. The name derives from the early 20th century leather craftsman Charles Doppelt, whose company designed the case in 1926.
The Dopp brand name was purchased by Samsonite in the early 1970s and was acquired by Buxton in 1979. The trademark Dopp was filed by Samsonite for registration at the US Trademark Office on March 24, 1980. The class of goods for which it was applicable was "toilet cases sold empty, briefcases, briefcase type portfolios, sample and catalog cases sold empty, luggage identification tags, and traveling bags." An additional filing for the trademark Dopp Kit was made on April 3, 1980, for the class of goods "travel kits, sold empty". In both of those applications, Samsonite stated that the trademarks were first used in July 1936. The registration for Dopp Kit was cancelled in March 2003 when no one filed a required (Section 8) Declaration of Continued Use, but the required declarations have been filed for Dopp. The marks were assigned to DHP Limited Partnership (dba Buxton) in 1990; the current owner of the Dopp trademark is listed as Buxton Acquisition Co., LLC, of Springfield, Massachusetts.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toiletry bags.|
- Rader, Jim (January 27, 1998). "Etymology discussion". AmericanDialect.org. Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- "About Us". Buxton.co. Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- Woolnough, Richard (January 1, 2008). The A to Z Book of Menswear. The A to Z Book of Menswear. ISBN 9781897403259.
- "Registration number 1193631". uspto.gov. US Patent and Trademark Office.
- "Trademark Application "DOPP KIT" (serial #73256578), Registration number 1197268". USPTO.gov. United States Patent and Trademark Office. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Serial number 87626431". tsdr.uspto.gov. United States Patent and Trademark Office. Retrieved 30 March 2021.