Doran Regional Park
Doran Regional Park is a regional park south of Bodega Bay, California, U.S.A. that is maintained by the Sonoma County Regional Parks Department. It covers an area of 127 acres (51 ha). It is located at Coordinates:  on the sand spit separating Bodega Harbor from Bodega Bay. The park address is 201 Doran Beach Road, Bodega Bay, CA.
Facilities and features
The park features a sandy beach (Doran Beach), a boat launch, picnic areas, and year-round camping. Other amenities include flush toilets and showers. Sea lions can sometimes be heard barking from offshore.
Doran Regional Park was once part of a ranch owned by William (Billy) Doran, who lived on a low hill just above the outer bay and south of the park. During World War II, the government took control of the bay portion of Doran Ranch through eminent domain to create a safe harbor for rescue operations and constructed the jetties at the mouth of the harbor with locally quarried rock. After the war, the land eventually passed to the County and the beach was established as a formal park in the late 1960s.  The Coast Guard Station Bodega Bay is located within the boundaries of the park.
Marine Protected Areas
Bodega Head State Marine Reserve & Bodega Head State Marine Conservation Area and Estero Americano State Marine Recreational Management Area protect area waters. Like underwater parks, these marine protected areas help conserve ocean wildlife and marine ecosystems.
- Sonoma County Regional Parks Map and Guide, Rev. 12/06.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Doran Regional Park
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Doran Beach
- "Doran Park". Retrieved 2008-01-29.
- "Marine lab a spectacular spot on Bodega Bay". Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- "Wells, Bob. Doran Park 'making it' with public: nearly 170,000 a year use beach facilities". Press Democrat (Santa Rosa, Calif.). Santa Rosa: Press Democrat. 2 August 1970. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
|This geographical article related to Sonoma County, California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|