October 28, 1934|
Manila, Philippine Islands
|Died||June 24, 2002
New York City, U.S
|Alma mater||St. Scholastica's College Manila
Ateneo de Manila University
Doreen Gamboa Fernandez was a noted Filipino teacher, writer, cultural historian, and scholar who wrote extensively about Philippine theater and Filipino cuisine.
Fernandez was born on 28 October 1934 to Aguinaldo Severino Gamboa of Silay, Negros Occidental and Alicia Lucero Gamboa of Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija, she died on June 24, 2002 in New York City due to complications of diabetes.
She obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree major in English and History in 1954 from St. Scholastica's College, Manila. She completed her Master of Arts degree major in English Literature (1965) and Ph.D. in Literature (1976) from the Ateneo de Manila University.
- "Pot-au-feu" for the Manila Chronicle
- "In Good Taste" for the Philippine Daily Inquirer
- "Foodscape" for Food Magazine
- "Pot Luck" for Mr. and Ms.
- The Iloilo Zarzuela, 1903-1930 (1978) 
- Contemporary Theater Arts: Asia and the United States (1984) 
- Sarap: Essays on Philippine Food (1988) 
- Lasa: A Guide to 100 Restaurants (1989) 
- Kinilaw: A Philippine Cuisine of Freshness (1991)
- Tikim: Essays on Philippine Food and Culture (1994)
- Palabas (1997)
- Fruits of the Philippines (1997)
- Palayok: Philippine Food Through Time, on Site, in the Pot (2000)
- Doreen Fernandez (1978). The Iloilo Zarzuela: 1903-1930. Ateneo de Manila University Press.
- Doreen Fernandez; Philippine-American Educational Foundation; American Studies Association of the Philippines; United States Information Service (1984). Contemporary theater arts: Asia and the United States. New Day Publishers. ISBN 978-971-10-0158-2.
- Doreen Fernandez; Edilberto N. Alegre (1988). Sarap: Essays on Philippine Food. Mr. & Ms. Publishing Company. ISBN 978-971-91137-0-6.
- Doreen Fernandez; Edilberto N. Alegre; Urban Food Foundation (1989). Lasa: a guide to 100 restaurants. Urban Food Foundation.
- Edilberto N. Alegre; Doreen Fernandez (1991). Kinilaw: A Philippine Cuisine of Freshness. Bookmark. ISBN 978-971-569-014-0.
- Doreen Fernandez (1994). Tikim: Essays on Philippine Food and Culture. Anvil Pub. ISBN 978-971-27-0383-6.
- Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Barbara. (2003). "Doreen G. Fernandez: A Tribute". Gastronomica. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- Fernandez, Doreen. (1988). Culture Ingested: On the Indigenization of Philippine Food. In E.N. Alegre & D. G. Fernandez (Eds.) Sarap: Essays on Philippine Food. Manila: Mr. & Ms. Publishing Company, Inc. Retrieved 2009-10-28.