Yates in June 2016
19 April 1962|
Walmley, Warwickshire, England
|Height||5 ft 10 1⁄2 in (179 cm)|
265 lb (120 kg) (Contest)|
310 lb (141 kg) (Off season)
|Pro-debut||Night of Champions, 1990|
|Best win||IFBB Mr. Olympia, 1992–1997|
Dorian Andrew Mientjez Yates (born 19 April 1962) is an English former professional bodybuilder. He won the Mr. Olympia title six consecutive times from 1992 to 1997. He has the fifth-highest number of Mr. Olympia awards of all time, thus ranking behind Ronnie Coleman (8), Lee Haney (8), Arnold Schwarzenegger (7) and Phil Heath (7). He is widely considered to be one of the top bodybuilders in modern history and is most known for his wide barn door back.
Yates' professional record consists of 15 major contest wins and two second-place finishes. His career ended in large part due to chronic acute injuries, including torn biceps and triceps, the latter just three weeks prior to his final contest, the 1997 Mr. Olympia, which he won in spite of the injury.
Yates espoused a style of training known as HIT (High Intensity Training), which states that maximum muscle stimulation can be reached through short, high-intensity workout sessions rather than long duration workouts. The training style was originally popularized by Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer.
Yates earned the nickname of "The Shadow" for his tendency to unexpectedly appear at major bodybuilding contests and steal the win, having remained out of the public eye for long periods beforehand. He was reported to have turned down several large supplement endorsement contracts and avoided interviews and other television publicity in order to maintain privacy and full commitment to his training.
Yates is considered to be the first of the "mass monsters" in bodybuilding. He combined this enormous muscle mass along with tremendous conditioning quoted as "granite hardness".
In 1998, Yates partnered with Kerry Kayes to form the bodybuilding supplement company CNP Professional, which marketed a Dorian Yates Approved product line in the U.S. He left the company in 2006 to form his own company, Dorian Yates Ultimate Formulas, which offers a line of protein and weight-gain supplements. He started a second company in 2010, EU Peptides, which sells peptide hormones and other pro-hormone supplements. He left EU Peptides in 2012. In 2011, Yates founded a third company, DY Nutrition, which specializes in pre-workout formulas and has released several training DVDs.
Yates and a partner took over the gym in 1987 and eventually became the sole owner of the gym. It has franchises in California, Las Vegas, and the UK. It's spread across 3000 square feet and Blue is a new workout to 220 lbs.
DY Nutrition is a line of supplements that consists of whey protein supplements, pre-workout Men, and post-workout supplements by Yates. DY Nutrition is a line of supplements that consists of whey protein supplements, pre-workout, and post-workout supplements owned and endorsed by Yates.
Yates is married to Brazilian fitness model Glauce "Gal" Ferreira. She had won the IFBB South American Bodyfitness event and was also the IFBB World Bodyfitness Champion 2007. They met each other for the first time at the 2008 Arnold Classic. They live in Marbella. Yates' son, Lewis, has also taken up bodybuilding and works closely with his father.
Yates has advocated alternative treatments for cancer, including the use of cannabis oil. He has also made statements in interviews concerning the negative health effects of sodium fluoride additives in tap water and the discovery of cancer viruses and sterilants in some vaccines. In a 2013 interview, he endorsed the use of some psychedelic entheogens for religious and spiritual purposes, including ayahuasca. Yates has also taken several controversial political positions, such as calling for a new investigation of the 9/11 attacks.
Books and videos
In 1996, Yates released a workout video (VHS) of the same title, which features his weekly weight training routines.
- Height: 5 ft 11 in (180 cm)
- Off Season Weight: 290 pounds (132 kg)
- Competition Weight: 265 pounds (120 kg)
- Upper Arm Size: 51 cm (20 in)
- Thigh Size: 79 cm (31 in)
- Waist Size: 88 cm (35 in)
- Calf Size: 52 cm (20 in)
- Chest size: 142 cm (56 in)
- 1985 World Games 7th Heavyweights
- 1986 British Championships, 1st Heavyweight
- 1988 British Championships, 1st Heavyweight and overall
- 1990 Night of Champions 2nd
- 1991 Night of Champions, 1st
- 1991 Mr. Olympia, 2nd
- 1991 English Grand Prix, 1st
- 1992 Mr. Olympia, 1st
- 1992 English Grand Prix, 1st
- 1993 Mr. Olympia, 1st
- 1994 Mr. Olympia, 1st
- 1994 Spanish Grand Prix, 1st
- 1994 German Grand Prix, 1st
- 1994 English Grand Prix, 1st
- 1995 Mr. Olympia, 1st
- 1996 Mr. Olympia, 1st
- 1996 Spanish Grand Prix, 1st
- 1996 German Grand Prix, 1st
- 1996 English Grand Prix, 1st
- 1997 Mr. Olympia, 1st
- "Dorian Yates bio". bodybuildingpro.com. Retrieved 22 February 2011.
- "FLEX Who was the Greatest Bodybuilder of All Time?". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "IFBB Pro Greatest Bodybuilder of the Past 65 Years". Archived from the original on 14 March 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Top 15 Bodybuilders of All Time". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Dorian Yates Speaks, retrieved 2 July 2013
- High-Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way
- IFBB Hall of Fame Dorian Yates, archived from the original on 27 December 2010, retrieved 2 July 2013
- Little, John (2005). Wisdom of Mike Mentzer. McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0071452931. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- About CNP, archived from the original on 1 September 2013, retrieved 2 July 2013
- DY Nutrition, retrieved 2 July 2013
- Gal Ferreira Yates - Whey Maromba
- Dorian Yates' Knockout Wife Glauce Ferreira
- Dorian Yates - Into The Shadow, retrieved 2 July 2013
- "Blood and Guts [Paperback]". Amazon.com. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- "Dorian Yates - A Warriors Story". Archived from the original on 2 July 2013. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Blood and Guts, retrieved 2 July 2013
- Dorian Yates: Inside The Shadow, retrieved 30 May 2017
- Dorian Yates on Facebook
- Dorian Yates on Twitter
- 2011 Q & A with Dorian Yates
- Dorian Yates – The Making of the Super Bodybuilder
- Dorian Yates Nutrition
| Mr. Olympia