|Mayor of Chișinău|
18 June 2007
|Preceded by||Veaceslav Iordan (acting)|
9 August 1978 |
Chișinău, Moldavian SSR, USSR
|Political party||Liberal Party|
|Relations||Gh. Ghimpu (uncle)
Mihai Ghimpu (uncle)
|Alma mater||University of Bucharest|
His mother is Valentina, sister of Gheorghe Ghimpu and Mihai Ghimpu. During high school he studied in Iași and graduated in 2001 from University of Bucharest Faculty of Law. Between 2001 and 2003 Chirtoacă worked for Surprize, Surprize ("Surprises, Surprises"), a show broadcast on TVR1. Then he worked for the Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Moldova (2003–2005) as Program Coordinator.
Dorin Chirtoacă has been the vice-president of the Liberal Party of Moldova since May 2005. Due to low turnout the 2005 Chișinău election was invalidated, but he became the mayor of Chişinău in 2007. He defeated his Communist Party Veaceslav Iordan opponent in the 2007 municipal elections, which resulted in a clear victory for a loose anti-communist coalition in the city of Chișinău (61.17%). He was considered to be the most important opponent of the communists in the April 2009 election and July 2009 election.
Chirtoacă won reelection as mayor of Chișinău in June 2011, narrowly defeating the candidate from the Communist Party of the Republic of Moldova, Igor Dodon. He received 50.6% of the vote to Dodon's 49.4%.
Chirtoacă (back) and his uncle Mihai Ghimpu
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dorin Chirtoacă.|
- Official website
- (Jurnal de Chișinău) Dorin Chirtoacă: „Se dorește ca Primăria să ajungă într-un blocaj financiar”
- UNIMEDIA) Dorin Chirtoacă: "La mulți ani Basarabiei! La mulți ani României!"
- Moscova incepe să atace noul primar de la Chișinău
- (BBC) Dorin Chirtoacă ales primar al Chișinăului
- Chișinăul are primar liberal
- (Flux) Comuniștii au pierdut capitala
- (Interlic) Dorin Chirtoacă: Cetățenii întregii republici demult au depășit clasa politică
- Victoria agregată a opoziției dispersate
- Results of parliamentary elections in Chisinau Municipality
- Surprize, surprize la Chișinău, 19 iunie 2007, Evenimentul zilei
- Dorin Chirtoacă: „Anexarea Basarabiei va fi reparată în UE”, 26 noiembrie 2009, George Rădulescu, Adevărul
- VIDEO Dorin Chirtoacă, primar general al Municipiului Chișinău: „Ne putem lua adio de la comuniști”, 27 mai 2011, George Rădulescu, Adevărul