Doris Twitchell Allen
Doris Twitchell Allen
Allen (left) with her husband, Rusty.
Doris Frances Twitchell
October 8, 1901
|Died||March 7, 2002 (aged 100)|
|Residence||United States, Germany|
|Alma mater||University of Maine (AB 1923, MA 1926)|
University of Michigan (PhD)
|Known for||Psychodrama, Children's International Summer Villages|
|Institutions||University of Maine, Longview State Hospital (Cincinnati, Ohio), University of Cincinnati|
|Thesis||An Investigation of Higher Thought Processes (1930)|
- For the California political figure, see Doris Allen (politician).
After receiving degrees in Chemistry (AB in 1923) and Biology (MA in 1926) at the University of Maine, where she was a member of the national honorary society Phi Kappa Phi, she earned a PhD in Psychology in 1930 at the University of Michigan, and completed her post-graduate study at the Psychological Institute, University of Berlin, in 1932.
From 1962 until her retirement, she was Professor of Psychology at the University of Cincinnati and Professor of Psychology (Psychodrama) at the University of Maine.
She developed several valued tools in the fields of psychology and education. Among them the Social Learning in the Schools Through Psychodrama project  and the Twitchell-Allen Three-dimensional Personality Test for use in CISV research and clinical practice to portray personality dynamics, irrespective of age or culture.
In addition to founding CISV in 1951, Doris Allen served as International President (1951–1956), Trustee (1956–1965), Research Chairman (1951–1967), and Honorary Counsellor (1965–2002), and simultaneously served as President (1956–1965), Research Chair / Co-Chair (1956–1969) and Life Trustee (1970–2002) of CISV USA. From its inception in 1988, Doris Allen had also served as Trustee / Honorary Trustee of the CISV International Peace Fund Trust.
The Doris Twitchell Allen Village (DTAV) student accommodation blocks at the University of Maine were named after her.
She was married to Erastus S. Allen, a lawyer for Procter & Gamble.
- https://library.umaine.edu/yearbooks/content/1924/1924_181to210.pdf, page 172
- The Social Learning in the Schools Through Psychodrama project on the Education Resources Information Centre (ERIC) website
- Ogilvie, Marilyn (2000). The Biographical Dictionary of Women in Science. Routledge. p. 24. ISBN 0-415-92038-8.
- The Doris Twitchell Allen Village on the University of Maine website Archived January 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine