Dorit Chrysler, née Dorit Kreisler, is an Austrian born thereminist, composer, producer, and singer. She is the co-founder (with Suzanne Fiol and Rob Schwimmer) of the New York Theremin Society and started America's first school for theremin, "KidCoolThereminSchool". She has performed with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and is featured on the soundtrack of the HBO documentary Going Clear. She has been commissioned for MoMA and the Venice Biennale. Promoting the use of theremin in contemporary music styles, she has collaborated with Lene Lovich, Dinosaur Jr., Marilyn Manson, Mercury Rev and Gordon Raphael of The Strokes, Electro Indigo, and Blonde Redhead. She has performed at Lincoln Center, Palais Tokyo, the Louisiana Museum, Coachella, Roskilde Festival, Konzerthaus in Vienna and CBGB.
Chrysler was born in Graz and spent her youth in Austria. She sang with the children's choir of the Opera Graz as a child, and studied Musicology at the University of Vienna. Chrysler moved to New York, where she worked as a musician, founding the band Halcion. She has collaborated with artists including Elliott Sharp, Swans, Anders Trentemoeller, ADULT., Max Romero, Cluster, Chicks on Speed, and Baby Dee.
She has performed and recorded as a solo artist since 2000. During this time she discovered the theremin. She has since performed worldwide, including Brazil, Australia, Japan, China and Russia. In 2005, Chrysler and Suzanne Fiol co-founded the New York Theremin Society.
Chrysler's musical style consists of electronic pop music, cinematic and experimental compositions. Wall Street Journal hailed her a "Futuristic Lotte Lenya". Paper magazine described her as the love child of Marianne Faithfull and Nikola Tesla, "with Jane Birkin as the nanny and Björk as the wayward Girl Scout leader." Her music has been used in TV, Movies & Video Art, including "Riget" by Lars von Trier and "A Vicious Undertow" by Jesper Just. Recipient of permanent residency at Pioneer Works, Center for Art & Innovation and a grant of the Knightsbridge Foundation.
- Sea Of Negligence - Prurience Factory (2011)
- Dorit Chrysler / Mico (3) / Monotekktoni / Iris (8) - 4 Women No Cry (Vol. 2) - Monika Enterprise (2006)
- Best Of Dorit Chrysler - Plag Dich Nicht (2004)
- Schlager On Parade - Plastiktray (2000)
- Tiny Thrills - Plag Dich Nicht (2005)
- Avalanche - In My Room (2012)
- Chinatown Evil / Sci-Fi - Bubutz Records (2012)
- Fusilli, Jim (January 1, 2013). "An Instrument Comes Into Its Own". Wall Street Journal.
- "Untouchable - An Evening with Thereminist Dorit Chrysler". Deutsches Haus at New York University.
- Sayej, Nadja (September 17, 2013). "Dorit Chrysler Is The Theremin Goddess". Noisey. Vice.
- "Dorit Chrysler - a Master of Modern Theremin". Inner Magazine. February 5, 2010.
- "Dorit Chrysler: a Wizard, a True Theramin Star!". Paper. May 25, 2007.
- Designer Theremin, a video of Chrysler performing, New York Times Video, October 23, 2013.