|File:Orchid X Doritaenopsis 'Dorado' Flower|
Doritaenopsis, abbreviated Dtps. in the horticultural trade, is an intergeneric hybrid between the orchid genera Doritis and Phalaenopsis (Dor × Phal). Any Phalaenopsis which has even a single occurrence of Doritis in its background is still registered as Doritaenopsis.
A Doritaenopsis and a Phalaenopsis will appear to the casual observer as the same orchid. And they are cultured the same, except that the spikes should not be automatically cut as they will often use the same main spike for a second blooming. The Doritis brings more flowers, flowers that last well into summer, sharper colors, and often multiple spikes. The tradeoff is slightly smaller flowers.
Doritis has NOT been reclassified by RHS according to this reference guide from the RHS site  reviewed June 2014. This reclassification attempt may have been premature, as Doritis has also been crossed with some Vandaceous hybrids such as ASCOVANDORITIS (Asvts.) and DORICENTRUM (Dctm.). So the Doritaenopsis Intergeneric Hybrid name is still valid.
There are some that want the change. Taiwan's Council of Agriculture on 2013-05-23 announced permission to label Doritis pulcherrima as Phalaenopsis  And The Late Dr. Eric Christenson  did reclassify Doritis into phalaenopsis in his paperback "Phalaenopsis: A Monograph.".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to × Doritaenopsis.|
- http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=204 End of Paragraph 1
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-06-09. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) AOS Beginners guide to Phalaenopsis, Pages 6,7,8
- http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/plant-registration-forms/list-of-orchid-genera-with-components Alphabeticl one-table list of orchid genera and inter-generic combinations
- https://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=689 An annotated list of hybrid genera involving Vanda
- http://eng.coa.gov.tw/content_view.php?catid=2447843&hot_new=8790 Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine Taiwan Council of Agriculture news release "Doritis pulcherrima is qualified for applying Plant Variety Right under the name of Phalaenopsis in Mainland China"
- http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110413/article/110419805 Herald-Tribune, Selby (Gardens) orchid controversy made Bradenton botanist famous 13 April 2011
- Phalaenopsis: A Monograph, Publication Date: October 30, 2009, Paperback ISBN 1604691719
|This Vandeae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|