Pabón at the 2016 Olympics
|Full name||Dorlan Mauricio Pabón Ríos|
|Date of birth||24 January 1988|
|Place of birth||Medellín, Colombia|
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|2013||→ Betis (loan)||17||(8)|
|2014||→ São Paulo (loan)||7||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:49, 13 May 2017 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14 August 2016
Dorlan Mauricio Pabón Ríos (born 24 January 1988) is a Colombian professional footballer who plays for C.F. Monterrey. A forward that can play anywhere in the front line, he is known for his speed, powerful shot and dribbling skills. Pabón is nicknamed Memín, because an old Mexican comic character named Memín Pinguín.
In 2010, Pabón moved to Colombian team Atlético Nacional. He is remembered for scoring a free-kick from 40 yards against Peñarol during a 2012 Copa Libertadores group stage game which Nacional won 4–0 away from home, with two of the goals coming from Pabón. Nacional went on to lose in the Round of 16 against Velez Sarsfield. Pabón ended the Copa Libertadores tournament with 7 goals, and being named player of the week for the tournament once, in 21–23 February.
With Nacional, Pabón also won the 2011 Liga Postobón Apertura, in which Nacional faced La Equidad, after losing the first leg 2–1, Nacional needed to win by a goal in the second leg to go into penalties. Pabón scored two goals in the away leg which ended 2–1, and scored his penalty in the shootout, which helped Nacional win its 11th National title. He has also scored a total of 50 goals in 71 games for Nacional since his arrival.
Pabón attracted interest from many European clubs, eventually joining Serie A club Parma F.C. on 27 June 2012, signing a five-year contract. His spell in Italy was not a great success, producing 1 goal in 11 games. During the January 2013 transfer window, Mexican team C.F. Monterrey announced that Pabón would be transferred the following summer to play for them.
Shortly after being transferred to Monterrey, it was announced that Pabón would be loaned to Real Betis in Spain for the next six months. However, he was registered as a loan by Parma because FIFA does not allow a player to be registered to three teams in one season. Therefore, having been registered by Monterrey he would not have been able to play for Betis. Pabón scored a higher goal per game ratio in Spain than he did in Italy. He notably scored a goal against FC Barcelona in just the first minute of the game.
On 16 August 2013, it was announced that Pabón would be returning to La Liga with Valencia CF, after spending just a summer at C.F. Monterrey. Having been impressed with his short spell at Betis for the latter half of the 2012–13 season, Valencia agreed to pay €7.5 million for his services. On 1 September 2013, he made his debut in his new team, against FC Barcelona in an eventual 2–3 home loss. Pabón scored his first goal for the Che on 19 October 2013, in a 1–2 loss to Real Sociedad.
São Paulo (loan)
On 27 January 2014, Pabón signed for one year on loan with Brazilian side São Paulo FC. Even after being Valencia's most expensive signing in the 2013–14 transfer window, Pabón did not adapt in Valencia and, with Eduardo Vargas' arrival, he would face more competition for a place in the first team, resulting in him deciding to join another club.
Pabón scored his first goal for his new club on 26 February: in a penalty kick, the Colombian scored the last goal of a 3–1 victory against XV de Piracicaba, in a 2014 São Paulo State League game. Pabón asked for Rogério Ceni, long-time idol in the club and official penalty kicker, to take it. According to Ceni: "He had already asked me to take it against Santos (who São Paulo faced before XV de Piracicaba). But this is not a problem here."
On 3 June 2014, Pabón left Tricolor, with the club, in its site, thanking the forward by his presentations for the city of the same name's side. In his last game for club, on 31 May, in the 2–1 win against Atlético Mineiro, Pabón scored the winning goal in the last minutes of the game. He said: "I remain very happy for the opportunity to have played for a giant club as São Paulo FC who gave me my first passage into Brazilian football."
In June 2014, the Mexican club confirmed it had signed the Colombian from Valencia for 7 million dollars.
- As of 19 October 2016
Pabón made his debut for the senior side for a 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification match against Chile. His first goal for the senior side came against Bolivia in La Paz for a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification match, Colombia went on to win the match 2–1 thanks to a late goal from Falcao. His second goal for Colombia came against Argentina in Barranquilla. Colombia went on to lose the game 2–1.
|1.||11 October 2011||Estadio Hernando Siles, La Paz, Bolivia||Bolivia||0–1||1–2||2014 WCQ|
|2.||15 November 2011||Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Meléndez, Barranquilla, Colombia||Argentina||1–0||1–2||2014 WCQ|
|3.||16 October 2012||Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Meléndez, Barranquilla, Colombia||Cameroon||3–0||3–0||Friendly|
- Dorlan Pabón Archived 26 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. rio2016.com
- *Dorlan Pabón – Liga MX stats at MedioTiempo.com (in Spanish)
- El verdadero origen del apodo de Dorlan Pabón | Pasión Fútbol.com. Pasionlibertadores.com (17 February 2012). Retrieved on 2016-08-18.
- "Watch Dorlan Pabon's amazing 40-yard free kick goal for Atletico Nacional against Penarol – Mirror Football Blog". MirrorFootball.co.uk. Archived from the original on 7 June 2012.
- Dorlan Pabón, el jugador de la semana en la Copa Santander Libertadores. conmebol.com (24 February 2012) Archived 27 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Atlético Nacional campeón de la Liga Postobón I 2011 – Terra Colombia". Deportes.terra.com.co.
- "Soccer News, Standings, Live Scores". Goal.com.
- Dorlan Pabón irá al fútbol turco o ruso, según prensa internacional, – Liga Postobon. Futbolred.com. Retrieved on 18 August 2016.
- "Dorlan Pabon is a Parma Fc Player!". Parma F.C. official site. 27 June 2012. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013.
- "El Real Betis incorpora a sus filas al delantero internacional colombiano Dorlan Pabón". Real Betis Balompie official site. 31 January 2013. Archived from the original on 3 February 2013.
- "Dorlan Pabon: da 'bidone' al fantacalcio ai complimenti di Messi". Fantagazzetta.com.
- Dorlan Pabón es nuevo jugador del Valencia de España. ComuTricolor.com. Retrieved on 18 August 2016.
- Dorlan Pabón agrees with the São Paulo and sign in the coming days. estadao.com.br (27 January 2014)
- Ganso acorda, convence Muricy e deve voltar a ser titular do Tricolor. Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved on 18 August 2016.
- Pabón pediu 'bênção' de Ceni para bater pênalti pelo São Paulo. Globoesporte.globo.com. Retrieved on 18 August 2016.
- São Paulo oficializa saída de Pabón, que deve ir para o México. Esporte.uol.com.br (26 March 2014). Retrieved on 2016-08-18.
- Dorlan Pabón at ESPN FC
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dorlan Pabón.|