Dorothy Louise McDaniel
January 12, 1924
Los Angeles, California
|Died||November 6, 2005(aged 81)|
|Known for||Her child-rearing book called: Children Learn What They Live: Parenting to Inspire Values|
|The poem called: Children Learn What They Live|
|Spouse(s)||Durwood Law (div.); Claude Nolte|
|Children||2 daughters, 1 son; 1 stepson; 8 grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; 1 great-great grandchild|
Dorothy Law Nolte (January 12, 1924 – November 6, 2005) was an American writer and family counselor.
She wrote a poem on childrearing, "Children Learn What They Live", for a weekly family column for The Torrance Herald in 1954. The poem was widely circulated by readers as well as distributed to millions of new parents by a maker of baby formula. She copyrighted it in 1972, and in 1998 expanded it into a book, co-authored with Rachel Harris, Children Learn What They Live: Parenting to Inspire Values. At the time of Nolte's death, the book had more than 3 million copies in print worldwide and had been translated into 18 languages, according to its publisher, Workman Publishing. Nolte and Harris also collaborated on Teenagers Learn What They Live: Parenting to Inspire Integrity and Independence (Workman Publishing, 2002).
With her second husband, Claude Nolte, Nolte also co-authored the book "Wake Up in Bed, Together! A Handbook for Sexual Repatterning" (Stein & Day, 1975).
Nolte's family is currently managing her numerous unpublished works. In 2019, they launched the website ChildrenLearnWhatTheyLive.com containing historical information, new poems, her books available for sale, and parenting resource information. Also compiled by her family in 2019, is an eBook entitled "Living With Children: A collection of inspirational poems to guide us along the path of parenting" by Dorothy Law Nolte.
- Dorothy Law Nolte PhD. Living With Children: A Collection of Inspirational Poems to Guide Us Along the Path of Parenting. eBook Partnerships, 2019. ISBN 978-1-913-22756-2
- Dorothy Law Nolte PhD, Rachel Harris LCSW, PhD. Children Learn What They Live: Parenting to Inspire Values. Workman Publishing Company, 1998. ISBN 978-0-7611-0919-8
- Dorothy Law Nolte PhD, Rachel Harris LCSW, PhD. Teenagers Learn What They Live: Parenting to Inspire Integrity & Independence. Workman Publishing Company, 2002. ISBN 978-0-7611-2138-1
- Fox, Margalit (November 20, 2005). "Dorothy Nolte, 81, Author of Parenting Poem, Dies". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved September 3, 2020.
- "Obituary: Dorothy Nolte". the Guardian. January 5, 2006. Retrieved September 3, 2020.
- www.childrenlearnwhattheylive.com- managed by Mrs. Nolte's family. Contains author's approved version of the famous poem.
- About Dorothy Law Nolte Workman Publishing website
- Children Learn What They Live. A Chronology of Differing Versions by Duen Hsi Yen.