University of Kansas
|Projects||Women of Uganda Network WOUGNET |
Eastern Africa Resilience Innovations Lab (EA RILab)
Dorothy Okello is an Ugandan technologist, professor, and engineer known for founding the Women of Uganda Network or WOUGNET. In 2016, she became the first female president of the Uganda Institute of Professional Engineers Association.
She has a BSc in Electrical Engineering from Makerere University, Uganda, a MSc in Electrical Engineering from the University of Kansas where she was a Fulbright Scholar, and a PhD in Electrical Engineering from McGill University in Montreal, Canada (where she received a Commonwealth Scholarship). She has worked to get more women and rural communities engaged in the information society.
Okello is Africa's first-ever Digital Woman of the Year, an honour bestowed upon her at an Africa ICT Days gala ceremony for the Digital Woman Award finalists that took place on 16 November in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
In October 2012, Okello was awarded the Women Achievers Award for her service in empowering women and girls through Science and Technology.
Okello was elected as the first female president of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers at the institution AGM on 29 April 2016. On 2 June 2016 a congratulatory letter from the Irish President Michael D. Higgins was presented to her by the Irish Ambassador to Uganda Dónal Cronin on becoming the first female president of the institution.
Okello is married with three children.
- Ted Hart; et al. (2010). Internet management for nonprofits : strategies, tools & trade secrets. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. p. 376. ISBN 978-0-470-53956-9. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
Mobile phones are affordable to many people even in rural areas,” explains Wougnet's executive director, Dorothy Okello.
- Abdelnasser, Abdelaal (28 February 2013). Social and Economic Effects of Community Wireless Networks and Infrastructures. IGI Global. ISBN 978-1-4666-2998-1.
- NANTABA, AGNES (21 November 2016). "Engineer Dr. Dorothy Okello sparkles in male-dominated profession". independent.co.ug. Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- "Eng. Dr. Dorothy Okello – UCC: Uganda Communications Commission". Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- "Dr. Dorothy Okello – Short Profile" (PDF). n.d. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Buskens, Doctor Ineke; Webb, Doctor Anne (4 July 2013). African Women and ICTs: Investigating Technology, Gender and Empowerment. Zed Books Ltd. ISBN 978-1-84813-606-9.
- "African Digital Woman Announced". n.d.
- "Dr Dorothy Okello wins Women Achievers Award". College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Kawalya, Shawn Davis (2 May 2016). "Meet Okello Kabagajju the new Engineers' boss". Eagle Online. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- Kamoga, Jonathan (6 June 2016). "Engineer's president to push for more science students". the Observer (Uganda).
|This Ugandan biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|