Dorsalis pedis artery
|Dorsalis pedis artery|
Anterior tibial artery, dorsalis pedis artery and the muscles and bones of the leg (anterior view).
|Latin||arteria dorsalis pedis|
|Source||anterior tibial artery|
|Supplies||dorsal surface of the foot|
In human anatomy, the dorsalis pedis artery (dorsal artery of foot), is a blood vessel of the lower limb that carries oxygenated blood to the dorsal surface of the foot. It arises at the anterior aspect of the ankle joint and is a continuation of the anterior tibial artery. It terminates at the proximal part of the first intermetatarsal space, where it divides into two branches, the first dorsal metatarsal artery and the deep plantar artery.
Along its course, it is accompanied by a deep vein, the dorsalis pedis vein.
Palpation of the dorsalis pedis artery pulse
The dorsalis pedis artery pulse can be palpated readily lateral to the extensor hallucis longus tendon (or medially to the extensor digitorum longus tendon) on the dorsal surface of the foot, distal to the dorsal most prominence of the navicular bone which serves as a reliable landmark for palpation. It is often examined, by physicians, when assessing whether a given patient has peripheral vascular disease. It is absent, unilaterally or bilaterally, in 2–3% of young healthy individuals.
- Mowlavi, A; Whiteman, J; Wilhelmi, BJ; Neumeister, MW; McLafferty, R (2002). "Dorsalis pedis arterial pulse: palpation using a bony landmark". Postgraduate Medical Journal 78 (926): 746–7. doi:10.1136/pmj.78.926.746. PMC 1757948. PMID 12509693.
- Robertson, GS; Ristic, CD; Bullen, BR (1990). "The incidence of congenitally absent foot pulses". Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 72 (2): 99–100. PMC 2499134. PMID 2185683.
- Gray's s157 - "The Arteries of the Lower Extremity"
- Gray's s160 - "Dorsalis pedis artery"
- Gray's s95 - "Ankle joint"
- Anatomy figure: 12:04-19 at Human Anatomy Online, SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Arteries of the lower extremity shown in association with major landmarks."
- Image at umich.edu