Mid Dorset and North Poole (UK Parliament constituency)
|Mid Dorset and North Poole|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Mid Dorset and North Poole in Dorset
Location of Dorset within England
|Electorate||64,705 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Merley, Broadstone, Corfe Mullen, Bere Regis, Wareham, and Wimborne Minster|
|Member of Parliament||Michael Tomlinson (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
1997–2010: The District of Purbeck wards of Bere Regis, Lytchett Matravers, Lytchett Minster, St Martin, and Wareham, the District of East Dorset wards of Corfe Mullen Central, Corfe Mullen North, and Corfe Mullen South, and the Borough of Poole wards of Alderney, Broadstone, Canford Heath, Canford Magna, and Creekmoor.
2010–present: The District of Purbeck wards of Bere Regis, Lytchett Matravers, Lytchett Minster and Upton East, Lytchett Minster and Upton West, St Martin, and Wareham, the District of East Dorset wards of Colehill East, Colehill West, Corfe Mullen Central, Corfe Mullen North, Corfe Mullen South, and Wimborne Minster, and the Borough of Poole wards of Broadstone, Canford Heath East, Canford Heath West, and Merley and Bearwood.
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the seats of North Dorset (Corfe Mullen Central, Corfe Mullen North, Corfe Mullen South, Lytchett Matravers, and Lytchett Minster wards), Poole (Broadstone, Canford Heath, Canford Magna, and Creekmoor wards), South Dorset (Bere Regis, St Martin, and Wareham wards), and Bournemouth West (Alderney ward). In 2010, Colehill and Wimborne Minster were added to the seat from North Dorset, Alderney was moved back to Bournemouth West, and Creekmoor back to Poole.
In September 2016, the Boundary Commission suggested abolishing Mid Dorset and North Poole. Parts of the constituency would form part of new Blandford & Wimborne and Broadstone, Ferndown & Kinson constituencies, whilst south-westerly parts of the constituency would be included in the updated boundaries of the South Dorset constituency.
This area includes the north of the Purbeck Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and two touristic high-end towns, namely Wimborne Minster with its traditional tearooms, towering inland Minster Church and Wareham at one end of Poole Harbour. Income levels are close to the national average, taking into account the high proportion of pensioners living across the area. and levels of rented and social housing are below the national average, particularly levels seen in cities.
Members of Parliament
|2001||Annette Brooke||Liberal Democrat|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Vikki Slade||14,650||29.9||+2.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Vikki Slade||13,246||27.5||−0.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Vikki Slade||13,109||28.2||−16.9|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrats||Swing||+11.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Annette Brooke||21,100||45.1||−4.9|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||−6.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Annette Brooke||22,000||48.7||+6.7|
|Liberal Democrats hold||Swing||+5.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Annette Brooke||18,358||42.0||+2.7|
|Liberal Democrats gain from Conservative||Swing||1.15|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Alan Leaman||19,951||39.3||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Major shake-up of constituency borders planned across Dorset". Dorset Echo.
- "Local statistics". Office for National Statistics.
- "2011 census interactive maps". Archived from the original on 2016-01-29.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 2)
- "Statement of Persons Nominated" (PDF).
- "General election 8 June 2017". Dorsetforyou.com. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Mid Dorset and North Poole Conservatives". Conservative candidate. Mid Dorset and North Poole. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.