|Look up Dose, Dosis, dosage, doses, or dosis in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Dose means quantity (in units of energy/mass) in the fields of nutrition, medicine, and toxicology. Dosage is the rate of application of a dose, although in common and imprecise usage, the words are sometimes used synonymously.
Dose can also mean quantity (in units of number/area) in the fields of Surface science and Ion implantation. See the definition of dose in ISO18115-1, term 4.173 (and compare the related definition of fluence in term 4.217 of the same Standard).
Particular uses in this context including:
- Dose (biochemistry), the quantity of something that may be eaten by or administered to an organism, or that an organism may be exposed to
- Overdose, intaking more than your required dose.
- Absorbed dose, an amount of radiation received
- Defined daily dose, a World Health Organization statistical measure of drug consumption
- Dosage form, a mixture of active and inactive components used to administer a medication
- Dose profile, taken by a radiation detector in order to characterise the radiation beams from medical linear accelerators
- Dosing, the process of administering a measured amount of a medicine or chemical to an inanimate object or non-human animal
- Effective dose (pharmacology), the amount of a substance required to produce an effect on a predefined percentage of a population
- Equivalent dose, a measure of radiation dosage to tissue
- Maximum tolerated dose, the highest dose of a radiological or pharmacological treatment that will produce the desired effect without unacceptable toxicity
- Median lethal dose, is the dose of a toxic substance or radiation required to kill half the members of a tested population after a specified test duration
- Optimal Biological Dose, the quantity of a radiological or pharmacological treatment that will produce the desired effect with acceptable toxicity
- Physiologic dose, within the range of concentrations or potencies that would occur naturally
- Reference dose, the United States Environmental Protection Agency's maximum acceptable oral dose of a toxic substance
Media and Music
- Dose (album), a 1998 album by the jam band Gov't Mule
- Dose (magazine), a free daily Canadian magazine
- Dose (song), a song by the band Filter
- Dosage (album), the fourth studio album by the band Collective Soul
- Paul Dose (1921–2003), officer in the German aerial warfare force during World War II
- Gerd Dose (1942–2010), professor of English literature and culture at the University of Hamburg from 1985 to 2007
- Döse, town in Lower Saxony, Germany
- Dose is sometimes used as a slang term for sexually transmitted infection.
- A measured quantity of sugar, wine, and sometimes brandy added in the final step in sparkling wine production before bottling
- Dosage Index, a mathematical figure used by breeders of race horses to quantify a horse's ability
- Dosa, a popular rice pancake in South India, referred to by Kannadigas as Dosé
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Dose.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.