Dostana (1980 film)
|Directed by||Raj Khosla|
|Produced by||Yash Johar|
|Cinematography||Nariman A. Irani|
|Edited by||Waman Bhonsle|
|Distributed by||Dharma Productions |
Yash Raj Films
Dostana ("Friendship") is a 1980 Indian action-drama film, written by Salim-Javed, produced by Yash Johar, and directed by Raj Khosla. The film stars Amitabh Bachchan, Shatrughan Sinha, Zeenat Aman, Prem Chopra, Amrish Puri, Helen, Pran and Paintal. The film was the fourth highest-grosser of 1980, behind Qurbani, Asha and Ram Balram. Dostana was one of the last successful films directed by Raj Khosla. The film was remade in Tamil as Sattam, with Kamal Haasan.
Vijay (Amitabh Bachchan) and Ravi (Shatrughan Sinha) are best friends who do not question each other about their careers. Vijay is a police officer and Ravi is a lawyer. While Vijay catches criminals, Ravi bails those criminals out and is employed by Daaga (Prem Chopra). One day both Vijay and Ravi meet Sheetal (Zeenat Aman) at different places and times, and both fall in love with her. While Vijay's love is more vocal and is reciprocated by Sheetal, Ravi has one-sided crush on Sheetal.
Ravi admits his love for Sheetal to Vijay who is devastated but decides to sacrifice his love for Ravi's sake. However, there is a misunderstanding when Daaga decides to stir up Vijay and Ravi's friendship by showing Ravi a photo of Vijay and Sheetal. Vijay and Ravi become rivals for the first time. The rest of the movie looks at the conflict between Vijay and Daaga. After the misunderstanding, Ravi is on Daaga's side but later learns the truth and atones for his deeds.
- Amitabh Bachchan as Vijay Varma
- Shatrughan Sinha as Ravi Kapoor
- Zeenat Aman as Sheetal Sahni
- Prem Chopra as Mr. Daaga
- Amrish Puri as Balwant Singh
- Helen as Sylvia
- Pran as Tony
- Gajanan Jagirdar as High School Principal
- Sajjan as Ramnik Lal Tiwari
- Iftekhar as Prosecuting Lawyer
- K.N. Singh as Judge
- Paintal Guest Appearance
- Jagdish Raj as Driver (Daaga's man)
- Sudhir as Inspector Shinde
- Mac Mohan as Daaga's man
- Sharat Saxena as Photographer (Daaga's man)
- Ruby Mayer as Nun
- Yunus Parvez as Gold Smuggler
- Goga Kapoor as Baldev Singh
- Vikas Anand as Dr. Karm Chandani
- Mohan Sherry as Daaga's man
In the film where Amitabh Bachchan beats Sajjan in the prison and after that, Sajjan was killed by another prisoner, the same scene was copied by Raj Khosla from his own directed film CID, where the same circumstances were faced by Dev Anand. Dostana's Producer was Yash Johar and later his son Karan Johar also producer made a movie same name Dostana starring Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham and Priyanka Chopra.
|1||"Bahut Khoobsurat Jawan"||Kishore Kumar||04:42|
|2||"Kitna Aasan Hai"||Lata Mangeshkar||04:04|
|3||"Mere Dost Qissa Yeh Kiya"||Mohammad Rafi||04:56|
|4||"Salamat Rahe Dostana" - I||Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar||04:26|
|5||"Dil Lagi Ne Di Hawa"||Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhosle||05:58|
|6||"Salamat Rahe Dostana" - II||Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar||04:28|
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Actor--Amitabh Bachchan
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Actor--Shatrughan Sinha
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Lyricist--Anand Bakshi for the song "Salamat Rahe"
- Filmfare Nomination for Best Male Playback Singer--Mohd. Rafi for the song "Mere Dost Kissa"
- Rohit K. Dasgupta; K. Moti Gokulsing (4 December 2013). Masculinity and Its Challenges in India: Essays on Changing Perceptions. McFarland. pp. 228–. ISBN 978-0-7864-7224-6.
|This article about a Hindi film of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|