Dot da Genius
|Dot da Genius|
|Birth name||Oladipo Omishore|
|Born||17 July 1986|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States|
|Labels||HeadBanga Muzik Group|
Oladipo Omishore (born 17 July 1986), professionally known as Dot da Genius, is an American record producer and mixing engineer from Brooklyn, New York City. He is perhaps best known for producing "Day 'n' Nite", the debut single of longtime friend and collaborator, American recording artist Kid Cudi, with whom he later formed a rock band known as WZRD. Engaged in various music production ventures, Dot da Genius has also signed a publishing deal with Universal Music Group, launched his own label HeadBanga Muzik Group and has since employed a mix engineer (Jay Powell). He has also collaborated with several prominent artists in the music industry, such as King Chip and Jhené Aiko, among others.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Production discography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Life and career
1986–2005: Early life
Oladipo Omishore is from the Brooklyn borough of New York City. He is of Yoruba (Nigerian) heritage. His parents always encouraged his interest in music, and at the age of seven, his father sent him to the Brooklyn Music School for piano lessons, where he studied with Tom Coote. Omishore preferred playing the guitar, but learning how to play a keyboard instrument was very beneficial later in life when he started producing. He attended Polytechnic Institute of New York University in New York, where he studied electrical engineering and graduated in 2009.
2006–2009: Career beginnings and producing for Kid Cudi
Omishore began his career in sound-mixing in 2003 at Polytechnic University by using Image-Line's FL Studio program. In 2004, Omishore created a studio in his basement with equipment bought by his parents and would later call it "Head Banga Muzik Studios." After gaining attention for his production, he decided to change locations to the Brewery Recording Studio. In May 2009, Da Genius partnered up with Andrew Krivonos, owner of Brewery Recording Studio, and helped move the studio to North Brooklyn in a new facility.
Dot Da Genius and Kid Cudi met in 2006, and they lived together for two years. Both artists found a genuine liking for one another, and chose to work with each other on several music productions. "Day N' Nite" turned out to be the biggest hit production that both of them worked on together, with Da Genius providing the beats and CuDi rapping and singing over the music. He produced the song in Head Banga Muzik Studios, and used several different methods of mixing and synthesizing the beats on this track. The song took a total of two days to complete, from the instrumental being made to the track's final arrangements. No edits were made after that two-day process ended. It was finished in 2007 and became popular two years later, in 2009. "Day N' Nite" reached the top three in the United States and the United Kingdom. It was released under the labels GOOD Music, Fool's Gold Records, Universal Motown Records, and Data Records. It is featured on the album Man on the Moon: The End of Day.
WZRD is Dot Da Genius and Kid Cudi's collaboration alternative rock band. Kid Cudi focuses on the vocals, while Da Genius is responsible for the production. Together, they produced a self-made album titled WZRD. A lot of their inspiration behind the album was from their love for Nirvana, The Pixies, and Pink Floyd. They recorded much of the album in either their tour bus while they were on the road, or Cudi's basement studio in Hollywood Hills. This album contained absolutely no profanity, including the "n word" that many rappers loosely use. The album was first released on February 28, 2012. It reportedly sold 70,499 copies in its opening week. Although Cudi finds the marketing and promotion of the album weak by Universal Music Group, it landed the number three spot on the album sales chart. Universal Music Group also
In September 2014, American singer-songwriter Jhené Aiko, revealed she and Omishore were in a relationship. The two revealed their marriage in March 2016. On August 9, 2016, Jhené Aiko filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences. The divorce was finalized in October 2017.
Awards and nominations
BET Hip Hop Awards
|2009||Day 'n' Nite||BET Hip Hop Award for Track of the Year||Nominated|
|Day 'n' Nite||BET Hip Hop Award for Best Hip Hop Video||Nominated|
|2010||"Day 'n' Nite"||Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance||Nominated|
|"Day 'n' Nite"||Grammy Award for Best Rap Song||Nominated|
MTV Video Music Awards
|2009||"Day 'n' Nite"||MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist||Nominated|
mtvU Woodie Awards
|2009||"Day 'n' Nite||Best Video Woodie||Nominated|
- Dot Da Genius, producer/owner, Brewery recording Studio. Archived May 13, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Paul Tingen, "Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Dot Da Genius". SOS.
- Sola Abodunrin (March 17, 2016). "American singer Jhene Aiko is married to Yoruba man". Naij. Retrieved March 19, 2016.
- Kenneth Atisele (March 17, 2016). "While we weren't looking, Jhene Aiko got married to a Yoruba American producer". Nigerian entertainment Today. Retrieved March 19, 2016.
- Brewery recording Studio. Archived October 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Jesse Fairfax, "WZRD (Kid Cudi x Dot Da Genius)", HiphopDX, February 28, 2012.
- Joe La Puma, "WZRD: Band Of Brothers (2012 Online Cover Story)", ComplexMusic, February 27, 2012.
- Jason Weintraub, "Kid Cudi's New Album Will Contain No Curse Words, No N-Words", Hiphopwired, November 20, 2011
- Jacob Moore, "Kid Cudi & Dot Da Genius' "WZRD" Sells Over 70K In Week One", ComplexMusic, March 6, 2012.
- Leigh Beadon, "KiD CuDi's WZRD Debuts At No. 3 Despite Being Swept Under The Rug By Universal", Techdirt, March 8, 2012.
- Allen Jacobs, "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 3/4/2012", HiphopDX, March 7, 2012.
- "DatNewCudi.com: Dot Da Genius Interview Part 1".
- Insanul Ahmed, "Dot da Genius Tells All: The Stories Behind his Classic Records", ComplexMusic, February 20, 2012.
- Insanul Ahmed, "Dusty Grooves: Dot Da Genius' 25 Favorite Albums", ComplexMusic, March 4, 2012.
- Leah Greenblatt, "BET Hip Hop Award nominations announced; will top nominee Kanye show?" MusicMix.
- 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards Winners.
- 2009 Video Music Awards.
- 2009 Woodie Awards.