Double Up (R. Kelly album)
|Studio album by R. Kelly|
|Released||May 29, 2007|
|R. Kelly chronology|
|Singles from Double Up|
|Yahoo! Music UK||(4/10)|
Double Up is the eighth studio album by American R&B singer and songwriter R. Kelly. It was released on May 29, 2007, by Jive Records, distributed by Zomba Label Group. The album features the contributions with guest appearances and also the productions, which was handled by R. Kelly, alongside with Swizz Beatz, The Runners, Snoop Dogg, Khao, Nelly, Chamillionaire and Polow da Don.
Its lead single, his remix to "I'm a Flirt", which features guest vocals from American rapper T.I. and American recording artist T-Pain; attaining the prominence of the success on the Billboard's Top 40 charts, while it peaked at number one on the US Top Hot Rap Tracks chart.
The album features the contributions with guest appearances and also the productions, which was handled by R. Kelly, alongside with Swizz Beatz, The Runners, Snoop Dogg, Khao, Nelly, Chamillionaire and Polow da Don.
"Rise Up", a song which only appeared on some releases, a tribute to the victims of the Virginia Tech massacre in April 2007; also making an early appearance was a song titled "Blow It Up", at first supposed to be featured on the album but absent from the final track listing, mainly due to the inappropriate mood it would have created because of the presence of the Virginia Tech shooting tribute song "Rise Up".
On May 25, 2007, four days before the album's release, the explicit version of the album became available for purchase on iTunes. The edited version became available on May 29, 2007, with a bonus track version available a day later.
On June 3, 2007 it entered the UK Albums Chart at #10.
The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, with first-week sales of 386,000 copies, making this his fifth album to debut at number-one. To date, the album has sold 1,200,000 copies in the United States.
On YouTube, R. Kelly has a video of him speaking out about his state on his success and his thoughts of collaborating with artists, such Young Jeezy and Ludacris, he thought, "why not put some of that magic on my album?" He stated that 70 percent of the record will be uptempo but he assured fans that "there will be some slow jams on there."
|1.||"The Champ" (featuring Swizz Beatz)||Robert Kelly, Kasseem Dean||Kelly, The Runners||1:50|
|2.||"Double Up" (featuring Snoop Dogg)||Kelly, Calvin Broadus, Jr., C. Bereal, K. Bereal, C. Brockman, C. Keyes, N. Stewart||Kelly, Khao (co.)||4:48|
|3.||"Tryin to Get a Number" (featuring Nelly)||Kelly, C. Haynes||Kelly, Corey "Keyz" Martin||3:47|
|4.||"Get Dirty" (featuring Chamillionaire)||R. Kelly, H. Seriki||R. Kelly, Mysto & Pizzi (co.)||3:56|
|5.||"Leave Your Name"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||3:27|
|6.||"Freaky in the Club"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||4:35|
|7.||"The Zoo"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||3:39|
|8.||"I'm a Flirt (Remix)" (featuring T.I. & T-Pain)||R. Kelly, S. Moss, R. Jackson, C. Harris, F. Najm||R. Kelly, Lil' Ronnie||5:32|
|9.||"Same Girl" (duet with Usher)||R. Kelly||R. Kelly, Lil' Ronnie||4:12|
|10.||"Real Talk"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||3:00|
|11.||"Hook It Up" (featuring Huey)||R. Kelly, L. Franks Jr.||R. Kelly, Lil' Ronnie (co.)||4:15|
|12.||"Rock Star" (featuring Ludacris & Kid Rock)||R. Kelly, C. Bridges||R. Kelly||4:47|
|13.||"Best Friend" (featuring Keyshia Cole & Polow da Don)||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||4:41|
|14.||"Rollin'"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||4:47|
|15.||"Sweet Tooth"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||2:50|
|16.||"Havin a Baby"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||3:34|
|17.||"Sex Planet"||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||5:35|
|18.||"Rise Up" (Virginia Tech Memorial tribute track) (Not included on some releases outside of North America)||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||3:31|
|International bonus tracks|
|19.||"Ringtone" (US / Japan / Canada / Australia / UK / Russian / iTunes bonus track)||R. Kelly, J. Jones, T. Nash, W. Hodge||R. Kelly, Polow da Don||3:41|
|20.||"I Like Love" (Japan / Canada bonus track)||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||3:20|
|21.||"Ooh Baby" (iTunes/Philippines/Mexico/Spain bonus track)||R. Kelly||R. Kelly||3:38|
|22.||"Good Sex" (featuring Twista) (iTunes/South American/New Zealand/African/Iraq/Israel/Turkey/Poland/India bonus track)||R. Kelly, A. Harr, J. Jackson, C. Mitchell||R. Kelly, The Runners||3:40|
- Samples credits
- Double Up "Iceberg" performed by Tweet
Hook It Up
- There are different iTunes' versions of Double Up. Some features the track "Ringtone", as track 20; instead of 19. Other versions have "I Like Love" or the video for "I'm a Flirt" as bonus features.
- On all versions (digital and CD) of Double Up, "I'm a Flirt" is presented in its censored form while the other songs are not.
- On most international versions of the album, the song "Rise Up" is omitted in favor of the aforementioned bonus tracks. The song "Rise Up" was reportedly intended predominantly for North American listeners because it is about the Virginia Tech massacre, something that some non-North American fans of R. Kelly may be unfamiliar with.
- The extended version of the song "Get Dirty" with an extended verse by Chamillionaire was released on R. Kelly's MySpace page.
- The new intro to the song "I'm a Flirt (Remix)" was released, only featuring an additional 10 seconds of music before the actual song. The only evidence of this was found on YouTube. The video is no longer available because the YouTube account which uploaded the video has been deleted.
|Jamaica||January 9, 2007|
|Haiti||May 29, 2007|
|Japan||December 10, 2007|
|Netherlands||March 1, 2008|
|New Zealand||June 4, 2007|
|South Africa||May 2, 2007|
|Iran||June 7, 2007|
|Oceania||August 12, 2007|
|Italy||October 3, 2007|
|Germany||February 4, 2008|
|Middle East||September 4, 2007|
|Finland||December 3, 2007|
|Indonesia||February 19, 2008|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)||74|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||19|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||34|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||46|
|Italian Albums (FIMI)||62|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||37|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||39|
|UK Albums (OCC)||10|
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Digital Albums (Billboard)||4|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||1|
- "Double Up Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- Hoffman, K. Ross. "R. Kelly: Double Up > Review" at AllMusic. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- Willman, Chris (25 May 2007). "Double Up: R. Kelly". Entertainment Weekly (936).
- Dombal, Ryan (5 June 2007). "R. Kelly: Double Up". Pitchfork Media.
- Boeckel, Gentry (8 June 2007). "R. Kelly: Double Up". PopMatters.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: R. Kelly". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- Christgau, Robert (29 May 2007). "R. Kelly: Double Up". Rolling Stone.
- Henderson, Eric (31 May 2007). "R. Kelly: Double Up". Slant Magazine.
- Gennoe, Dan (1 June 2007). "R. Kelly - Double Up". Yahoo! Music UK. Archived from the original on June 9, 2007.
- "R. Kelly Still Steamy On New Song Leaks". Billboard.com.
- gnoos — Internal server error[dead link]
- Video on YouTube[dead link] This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.
- "Ultratop.be – R. Kelly – Double Up" (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "R. Kelly – Chart history" Billboard Canadian Albums Chart for R. Kelly. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – R. Kelly – Double Up" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – R. Kelly – Double Up" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Italiancharts.com – R. Kelly – Double Up". Hung Medien. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Swedishcharts.com – R. Kelly – Double Up". Hung Medien. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "Swisscharts.com – R. Kelly – Double Up". Hung Medien. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "R Kelly | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "R. Kelly – Chart history" Billboard 200 for R. Kelly. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "R. Kelly – Chart history" Billboard Digital Albums for R. Kelly. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- "R. Kelly – Chart history" Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums for R. Kelly. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- 'R. Kelly Previews New Album On The Phone'
- 'Album Credits At The Vault, Dubcc.com'
- 'R Kelly's Double Up Review'
- R Kelly Forums
- The R. Kelly Double Up Official Website
- Double Up at Metacritic
It Won't Be Soon Before Long by Maroon 5
|Billboard 200 number-one album
June 10, 2007 - June 16, 2007
Epiphany by T-Pain