Doubles (2011 film)
|Directed by||Sohan Seenulal|
|Produced by||K. K. Narayanadas|
|Music by||James Vasanthan|
|Edited by||V. Sajan|
Reels on Wheels
|Distributed by||Plaza Group of Release|
Doubles is a 2011 Malayalam comedy-action drama film directed by debutant Sohan Seenulal and written by the Sachi-Sethu duo. It stars Mammootty, Nadia Moidu and Taapsee Pannu in the lead roles, and Saiju Kurup, Suraj Venjaramoodu, Salim Kumar, Anoop Chandran, Bijukkuttan, Y. G. Mahendra and Avinash in other roles. It also features Roma and Rima Kallingal in cameo roles, and music by James Vasanthan. The film released coinciding with the festival of Vishu on 14 April 2011.
Doubles is a story of two siblings who rescue victims of road accidents. Mammootty plays the role of Giri and Nadia his twin sister Gowri.
The film tells the story of fraternal twins Giri (Mammootty) and Gowri (Nadia Moidu), who lost their parents in an accident early in life. They grew up together in an orphanage, inseparable. And when they grew rich, they set up an accident rescue unit in Puducherry in memories of their parents. They have even learnt mountaineering to carry out rescue operations. Their team consists of characters played by Saiju Kurup, Anoop Chandran and Bijukkuttan, and good for nothing ambulance-chasing lawyer named Lawrence (Suraj Venjaramoodu).
Giri and Gowri are absolutely inseparable, and for the same reason have remained unmarried as well. One day they rescue a girl named Saira Banu (Taapsee Pannu) from an accident, but then on, with Saira's identity remaining a mystery. Saira remains behind a purdah for a long time, and the antics that the men around her come up with to take a look at her face forms the comedy element of the film. Giri finds that Saira's accident was fabricated by Gowri's fiancé Mishal. Everything around their happy life takes a sudden change from that point.
- Mammootty as Giri
- Nadia Moidu as Gowri
- Taapsee Pannu as Saira Banu
- Suresh as Mishal
- Saiju Kurup as Sameer
- Ananda Raj as Pathan
- Tejus Ameer as Giri - Childhood role of Mammootty
- Anoop Chandran as Susheelan
- Suraj Venjaramoodu as Adv. Lawrence
- Salim Kumar as Mayyazhi
- Y. G. Mahendra as Piyari Sayipp
- Abu Salim
- Joju George
- Narayanankutty as Mukuntan
- Jaya Menon
- Geetha Vijayan as Giri and Gowri's mother
- Kiran Rathod (cameo)
- Roma (cameo)
- Rima Kallingal (cameo)
- Sruthi Ramakrishnan as Dr.Beena (cameo)
Doubles is the directorial debut of Sohan Seenulal. Seenulal had previously worked as an assistant director for many films including three starring Mammootty. It was during the filming of Mayavi (2007) that Seenulal approached Mammootty with the intention of making a film with him in the lead. Nadia Moidu, who was one of the most adored actresses of Malayalam cinema of all time, makes her comeback in Malayalam with this film. Mammootty and Nadia had earlier worked in Shyama (1986) and Poovinu Puthiya Poonthennal (1986). Both the actors will be working together again after over two decades. Originally planned to begin on 15 November 2010,
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2018)
The film released coinciding with the festival of Vishu on 14 April 2011.
Paresh C. Pallicha of Rediff.com rated the movie two in a scale of five and stated, "On the whole, Doubles has fallen to the level of a never-ending tacky television serial." Keerthi Ramachandran of Deccan Chronicle stated, "Doubles was more like a plot done in impromptu. With a very thin storyline of two siblings running an accident rescue service in Puducherry after their parents bled to death in a road accident, goes on to have a totally unrelated story behind." She also criticized the technical aspects of the film. Veeyen of Nowrunning.com rated the film 1.5 in a scale of five and said, "Doubles offers a desultory tour through streets that you have been through several times before. It's a dreary drama that has been dipped in the mundane. So, the disappointments are double, the predictability double and the corniness even more than double." The reviewer of Sify.com stated, "This one has been a disappointment, nothing less."
- "Seenulal's multi-starrer debut with Doubles". Deccan Chronicle. 31 March 2011. Archived from the original on 3 April 2011. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "Dual treat for Vishu". The Hindu. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- "Nadiya Moidu with Mammootty in Doubles". Oneindia.in. 9 August 2009. Archived from the original on 9 July 2012. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- "Mammootty's Doubles To Start Shooting This November". Thaindian.com. 18 September 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- Paresh C. Pallicha. (15 April 2011). "Review: Doubles is like a tacky TV serial". Rediff.com. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Review: Doubles (Malayalam)" Archived 10 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine.. Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- Veeyen. (15 April 2011). "Doubles Review". Nowrunning.com. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Movie Review: Doubles". Sify.com. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2011.