Doug Baird (footballer, born 1935)
|Full name||Douglas Francis Hogg Baird|
|Date of birth||26 November 1935|
|Place of birth||Falkirk, Scotland|
|Date of death||December 2002 (aged 67)|
|Place of death||Falkirk, Scotland|
|1959||Scottish League XI||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Baird was born in Falkirk. He began his career as an amateur with Armadale Thistle before joining Scottish Football League side Partick Thistle in 1955. He made 139 league appearances over the next six years, scoring once. In 1959, he won a cap for the Scottish under-23 side against Wales and represented the Scottish Football League against the League of Ireland. Baird moved to England in 1961 to play in the Football League for Nottingham Forest. In two years at the City Ground, he made 37 appearances and then signed for Plymouth Argyle. He made his debut in a 1–0 defeat at Sunderland in October 1963 and scored his first goal in a 1–0 win at Bury in October 1964. Baird played in 158 matches for Argyle, mostly as a full back, and scored two goals. He joined non-league side Tavistock in 1968, where he spent two years, and then returned to Scotland to take up a player-coach role with Hamilton Academical. He died in December 2002.
- Partick Thistle
- "Doug Baird". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Dougie Baird". Londonhearts.com. London Hearts Supporters' Club. Retrieved 18 December 2011.
- "Doug Baird". Post War English & Scottish Football League A – Z Player's Database. Neil Brown. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Knight, Brian (1989). Plymouth Argyle: A Complete Record 1903–1989. Derby: Breedon Books. p. 120. ISBN 0-907969-40-2.
- "Argyle internationals". Greens on Screen. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "Sadly passed away" Archived 1 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Nottingham Forest. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Doug Baird". Greens on Screen. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Danes, Ryan (2009). Plymouth Argyle: The Complete Record. Derby: Breedon Books. pp. 242–251. ISBN 978-1-85983-710-8.
- "Doug Baird" Archived 15 September 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Plymouth Argyle. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- Doug Baird at Greens on Screen