Douglas R. Casey is an American writer, speculator, and the founder and chairman of Casey Research. He describes himself as an anarcho-capitalist influenced by the works of novelist Ayn Rand. Casey is known as a real estate investor as well as an advisor on how to profit from market distortions and periods of economic turmoil.
Casey's 1979 book Crisis Investing was a national bestseller. It was at number one on The New York Times Non-Fiction Best Seller list in 1980 for multiple weeks. It was the best-selling financial book of 1980 with 438,640 copies sold.
- The International Man (1976). Hardcover: ISBN 978-0-932496-09-6
- Crisis Investing : Opportunities and profits in the coming great depression. (1979). Hardcover: ISBN 0-936906-00-6. Paperback: ISBN 0-671-42678-8.
- Crisis Investing for the Rest of the 90s (1993). Paperback: ISBN 0-8065-1612-7.
- Totally Incorrect: Conversations with Doug Casey (2012). Paperback: ISBN 0-9882851-3-4.
- Right on the Money (2013). Paperback: ISBN 978-1-118-85622-2. John Wiley & Sons
In 2007 the Financial Times noted that Casey pointed out the credit crunch saw close correlation between gold and equity prices. He said this was because hedge funds sold both gold and equities for liquidity.
Casey has been noted for recommending gold as an investment. At FreedomFest 2014 he told Daniela Cambone that he predicted retail price inflation, and saying that he did not think that the price of gold was being suppressed.
- Gillespie, Nick (June 25, 2014). "'America Has Ceased to Exist': Investment Guru Doug Casey on the Coming Economic Meltdown". Reason.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Waggoner, John (February 19, 2009). "Investors are grabbing for dangled karats". USA Today. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Projects Draw Attention to Argentine Countryside". New York TImes. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Totally Incorrect: Conversations with Doug Casey (LFB) [NOOK Book]". Barnes and Noble. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Sykora, Allen (May 11, 2011). "Doug Casey: Government Policies Distort Markets; 'Printing More Money' To Mean Inflation". Forbes.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- Sien, 2015. 22:00 min. in
- Strauss, Valerie (June 10, 2010). "What Americans used to read". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Doug Casey". Voice America. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Right on the Money: Doug Casey on Economics, Investing, and the Ways of the Real World with Louis James", Wiley.com.
- "Matthew Vincent: Time to bring on the violins". Financial Times. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Christensen, Neils; Cambone, Daniela (July 11, 2014). "Gold Is A Good Value - Doug Casey". Forbes. Kitco News. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- Nelson, Leah. "How to spot an "anarcho-capitalist"". Salon. Retrieved 28 March 2015.