Douglass Read "Doug" Cutting is an advocate and creator of open-source search technology. He originated Lucene and, with Mike Cafarella, Nutch, both open-source search technology projects which are now managed through the Apache Software Foundation. He is also the creator of Hadoop (Yahoo!, Cloudera).
Education and early career
He holds a bachelor's degree from Stanford University.
Open source projects
Lucene, a search indexer, and Nutch, a spider or crawler, are the two key components of an open-source general search platform, which first crawls the Web for content, and then structures it into a searchable index. Cutting's leadership of these two projects extended the concepts and capabilities of general open-source software projects such as Linux and MySQL into the important vertical domain [clarification needed] of search. While it is difficult to track the total number of installations of these platforms, public announcements of the use of Lucene and its direct descendant Solr by various venture-backed startups indicate a significant level of adoption. Perhaps the most significant deployment of Lucene is Wikipedia, where it powers search for the entire site.
Use of MapReduce paradigm
In December 2004, Google Labs published a paper on the MapReduce algorithm, which allows very large scale computations to be trivially parallelized across large clusters of servers. Cutting, realizing the importance of this paper to extending Lucene into the realm of extremely large search problems, created the open-source Hadoop framework that allows applications based on the MapReduce paradigm to be run on large clusters of commodity hardware. Cutting was an employee of Yahoo!, where he led the Hadoop project full-time; he has since moved on to Cloudera.
Open source foundations and awards
In July 2009, Doug Cutting was elected to the board of directors of the Apache Software Foundation, and in September 2010, he was elected its chairman.
- "Cloudera Management". Cloudera. Retrieved 2011-03-22.
- "Wikipedia: Powered by Lucene". Lucene. Retrieved September 5, 2007.
- Handy, Alex (10 August 2009). "Hadoop creator goes to Cloudera". Software Development Times. Retrieved 2011-03-22.
- "O'Reilly Open Source Awards - OSCON 2015". YouTube. O'Reilly. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "Doug Cutting's blog".
- An interview with Doug Cutting
- Video interview of Doug Cutting
- Audio interview with Doug Cutting
- Doug Cutting's publications and patents
- Doug Cutting joins Yahoo!
- Blog post by Tom White about Doug Cutting creating Hadoop Note that this post was written while Hadoop was still an unnamed spinoff of Nutch. Tom updates his earlier post with the Hadoop name here.
- Article co-authored by Doug Cutting in ACM Queue, 'Building Nutch: Open Source Search'